Bit Torrent, latency issues.

I don't recall anyone calling anyone else stupid. I said "don't you think its stupid?". Running a raid0 array for 2x250gb drives offers no real performance gain. With that amount of data (500gb, if filled) if one drive goes out, he loses it all. To me thats not worth the risk. Now a raid0 array on 2 smaller drives for the OS would be beneficial. But they wouldn't be used for simply storage.

No I don't think it is stupid for wanting 2 continuous 500G volume sets, I have my reasons. If you notice, one set is PATA and the other is SATA, what would be stupid is to mix those 4 drives in a Raid 0+1 and lose the speed benefit of SATA II. I replace my drives every year, do you think those drives will fail in a year? Do you know something I don't? Raid0 is for speed, thats why they are configured that way.

Anyways, I will be installing the other drive with XP32 SP1 and testing this out over the next couple of days, I'll post back.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in my opinion, a 500gb C drive is overkill. But to each their own. :)

Paying more than a $1 a gig is overkill in my opinion :shake: .

Updating to Azureus 2.3.0.6 from 2.3.0.4, seems to have fixed my problems. I will test it tonight, but so far it hasn't worked this well in months.

I've flashed to the newest firmware, and use different BT ports so my ISP doesn't catch drift of what I'm downloading. (as easily)

Hold on, you got everyone here busting their butt, and now, you disclose you are using non-standard ports for BT?

Change it back to 6881-6999, port forward your router, and then report back to us that you are still having a problem. If the problem goes away, it's the tracker that's not giving you what you need. Alot of 'other' people have those (perfectly valid) ports closed down, and only allow 6881-6999 open for BT. Sure, you can use those other ports, but you pay the penalty. And really, your ISP shouldn't be 'snooping' on your traffic, there are FCC rules about that.

If you are really worried about 'your traffic', get some anonymizer stuff.

Hold on, you got everyone here busting their butt, and now, you disclose you are using non-standard ports for BT?

Change it back to 6881-6999, port forward your router, and then report back to us that you are still having a problem. If the problem goes away, it's the tracker that's not giving you what you need. Alot of 'other' people have those (perfectly valid) ports closed down, and only allow 6881-6999 open for BT. Sure, you can use those other ports, but you pay the penalty. And really, your ISP shouldn't be 'snooping' on your traffic, there are FCC rules about that.

If you are really worried about 'your traffic', get some anonymizer stuff.

It's not the ports. I've used the same ports on other sites, and other people use the same ports without the problems. The ports I use are what TorrentBytes requires. Some sites don't allow the basic BT ports. The problem is in the amount of connections I am receiving. If I limit to 10, I usually am fine with web browsing. If I boost it to 100, I lose connectivity, but gain speeds on BT usually. The people with the routers crashing are a tid-bit different of a problem I believe. I'm going to give up on this whole issue come next week when my new MSI NF2 board comes, in which I'll be setting that comp up to do my downloading. (it had an asus nf2 board in it before, and I never once had these downloading issues.)

Problem solved, I have no ports open and I am running PG2 (yellow NAT error but works great regardless), Azureus 2.3.0.6 ran all night while streaming media. Stoked! Almost 5 months I put up with this crashing routine.

With a popular torrent, or one simply downloading off <5 people? I'd suggest you get in on a torrent such as Lord of War or Harry Potter to see how it holds up.

Paying more than a $1 a gig is overkill in my opinion :shake: .

Updating to Azureus 2.3.0.6 from 2.3.0.4, seems to have fixed my problems. I will test it tonight, but so far it hasn't worked this well in months.

Well you don't need a 500gb drive to store data is all I'm saying. I usually hop on the 160gb drive deals for under $30 which is like 19 cents a gig. But I don't raid them since it doesn't help me store data any better. As is I can hotswap the drives or put them into an external enclosure and take them on the go without any hassle. If I wanted to do the same with a raid array, it wouldn't be too easy.

Well you don't need a 500gb drive to store data is all I'm saying. I usually hop on the 160gb drive deals for under $30 which is like 19 cents a gig. But I don't raid them since it doesn't help me store data any better. As is I can hotswap the drives or put them into an external enclosure and take them on the go without any hassle. If I wanted to do the same with a raid array, it wouldn't be too easy.

"You" don't need 500Gb for storage, or "I" don't? You know exactly what I'm doing, how is that? I have other drives and an enclosure as well. Don't profess to know what another needs, what I do is more than storage, I need fast performance. You work with digital audio much?

Yes but if you were after performance you might consider two 15k rpm drives as the OS partition. :)

Anyway, back on topic please.

They make SATA or ATA 15K drives, other than SCSI? Must be a new product I'm not familiar with.

And to get back on topic, my problems are officially fixed. 3 days and no lockups or crashes with the new Azureus 2.3.0.6, I couldn't be happier.