Sign in to follow this  
Jesse

Bit Torrent, latency issues.

I don't think it is a router issue, since I've experienced it while connected straight to the net from the modem.

With Bit Torrent, if I limit the connections per torrent to 10 it doesn't give me the issue (as often anyway). So lately I've just been downloading one at a time (which is probably a better idea anyhow). But, when I'm playing a game like BattleField 2 with more than 30 players in it, I lag up when connecting and even disconnect and have to rejoin the game again. Pretty frustrating since I built this comp to be able to play online games haha..

Not really sure if you are aware of this, but do you know that you can "unlock" your modems as well? You'd probably want it to act in Bridge mode, and disable any type of firewall, etc. on it.

Another issue usually lies in Windows XP SP2.. This is a very common issue.

I have a motorola surfboard SB5100 with Comcast service. I'm willing to try unlocking it. Any useful links?

But again I stress the fact I never had this issue on my other build running the same Windows version, same router. Doing virtually the same stuff with it too.

I have a motorola surfboard SB5100 with Comcast service. I'm willing to try unlocking it. Any useful links?

But again I stress the fact I never had this issue on my other build running the same Windows version, same router. Doing virtually the same stuff with it too.

I wouldn't know exactly the cause Jesse. If that's the case, than it could simply be a software issue. Hot fixes, Service Packs change a lot of settings, and in the case of SP2, totally limits your TCP Connections, etc.

Have you ever tried on an install on another hard disk and checking if you can download fine by those means?

Also, the modem unlocking can be found by a Google of Yahoo search pretty much..

I wouldn't advise that...you will/might lose your ISP and if you don't you face a lifetime of capping, which at this point I think is what happened to you. Also, you could try raising your half-open TCP/IP connections to 100 and your max connections to server to 20 and also your max connections to server_01 to 30, also ping the tracker or run tracert, your choice.

h

The new router has helped, I was able to d/l 6 torrents and stream media. This morning everything was going full speed for once.

I did experience the same old lockup when d/l'ng 10 torrents upping 2 and browsing on the net. I am using Peerguardian, I am wondering if that is the problem now. Are you guys using PG2 or a similar blocker?

The new router has helped, I was able to d/l 6 torrents and stream media. This morning everything was going full speed for once.

I did experience the same old lockup when d/l'ng 10 torrents upping 2 and browsing on the net. I am using Peerguardian, I am wondering if that is the problem now. Are you guys using PG2 or a similar blocker?

Previous to this reinstall I was. But to me it seems like the swarm of simultaneous incoming connections makes it nearly impossible to make new outbound connections (http, for example).

Try to hop on a popular torrent (Harry Potter, for example) that has a lot of seeds. It seems to me the more people trying to send me data, the more likely to lose connection I am.

mr_dimsum:

yes, I have tried on a PATA drive, and disabled my raid array entirely to see if that could be the issue, alas it was not.

Jesse,

I know you've done some of this before, but Azureus has a tool function that you test your NAT/Firewall to make sure 6881-6999 is working.

I suggest putting in a NETWORK ADDRESS in the advanced settings in your 'network places' for your NIC. It's on the M/B itself I think.

Make sure the router has the latest BIOS/Firmware.

In my router, I have UPnP: Enabled and ports 6881-6999 port forwarded to my box.

I've flashed to the newest firmware, and use different BT ports so my ISP doesn't catch drift of what I'm downloading. (as easily)

I've tried with a port open and with all ports closed, same thing. I was frozen again this morning. I am tiring of this. I may leave another hard drive in my machine running XP32 SP1 to see if this fixes the damn problem.

I noticed you're running two raid0's with 4 250gb drives total-- don't you think thats kinda stupid? Lose one, you lose a whole raid array. I'm sure you're using the hitachis as the OS array, but still seems stupid :O

Oh, and when did you get on your 2405fpw deal? :)

Not very nice to say people stupid. People have their own reasons to do things.

I don't recall anyone calling anyone else stupid. I said "don't you think its stupid?". Running a raid0 array for 2x250gb drives offers no real performance gain. With that amount of data (500gb, if filled) if one drive goes out, he loses it all. To me thats not worth the risk. Now a raid0 array on 2 smaller drives for the OS would be beneficial. But they wouldn't be used for simply storage.