Bit Torrent, latency issues.

Alright I have posted this on numerous forums, and its becoming a PITA.

Symptoms: When running BitTorrent, (tried uTorrent, Azureus, etc) my computer and the internet connection heavily suffer. I have my upload capped, and download max is far from being reached, so its not a bandwidth issue. Also, I am not running nvidia's firewall, or any of their utilities.

I first noticed when connected remotely to home comp and I would frequently lose conneciton when downloading via torrents. Then I went home, tried this with my laptop and a LAN connection (not wireless) and it did the same thing. However, when I lost connection I noticed the hard disks stopped reading/writing for a moment, then kicked back up after a few seconds. This leads me to believe its my RAID array. My old setup was running one raptor, and I used BT every day and never once had this issue.

Now, when the torrent(s) are running, my active connections stay connected, but I cannot make any new ones. Be it instant messengers, or accessing a web page.

I've tried disabling the SATA 3 and 4 ports, and that didn't fix it. Also tried moving the raid to those two ports, and disabling 1 and 2, and still no luck. I also tried a simple reloading of the OS, and nothing beneficial came out of that except for me accidently formatting the drive I backed up everything to. (long story, but ended up as a big laugh). I've tried installing a PCI network card, and that didn't fix it.

Basically, I'm running out of options and don't know where to look/go for help. I hope you all can give me some decent insight, and will give any information I can to help you help me. Thanks in advance.

Edit: one more thing.. it displays my RAID as a removable device.. how do I fix that little issue?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible that its the raid but bear in mind BitTorrent itself: no matter which client version you use it basically claims as much bandwidth as possible. We have a 2meg business line here due to having 5 machines networked (in the UK we had to, to get a decent contention ratio and no limits) all can access the net, play online games and do pretty much anything at the same time, but as soon as you start Torrent not even one machine can get a decent speed.

Well I understand all that. But as I said, I have done the same things I do on my new build as I did on my comp that is 2.5 years old. (Also an AMD build I did). It's not a bandwidth issue, more of a connectivity issue. I know BT issues a LOT of connections, and I think that could be tied in to the problem as well. But I do cap my bandwidth, so its not ruining my other computer's connections. The odd thing is, I get upwards of 400kb/sec on BT as well, but once I have a popular torrent running, bam, no more connection. It gets to the point where I have to kill the client entirely to even access a web page.

Have tried downloading something different like an ISO image of BSD Unix or Linux? Try downloading one of these via http or FTP, monitor the progress, then delete. Does the same thing happen?

My point is that your ISP may place a download cap on your downstream bandwidth, i.e. if you're downloading large files; mine does. Also, if you are downloading a popular item via Torrent that may also contribute to your slow download.

The point about Torrent grabbing bandwidth is certainly valid.

What about your network cable? Have you swapped it out with another one to verify the first cable ok?

Just a few thoughts.

I've done everything the same as on my other box, and it was all fine. I think my modem also crashes sometimes from this. Sometimes I have to unplug/replug in to get it up again. But on my other comp which was a 2800xp/asus build had no problems like this. On that build, I only had one raptor running though. This new one I'm using raid. Same ram and most everything else, so I'm sure its either my raid or the motherboard.

I first noticed when connected remotely to home comp and I would frequently lose conneciton when downloading via torrents. Then I went home, tried this with my laptop and a LAN connection (not wireless) and it did the same thing.

If your laptop had the same connection issue as your DFI LP UT nF4 rig how can you suspect the RAID on your DFI rig? Does your laptop have a RAID array as well?!?

Not having your setup in front of me it is hard to know if this is an issue, but capping your upload and download speeds in a BitTorrent client (whichever one you use) does not put a cap on the BANDWIDTH being used. In addition to bandwidth being used to actually transfer data files, your connection is also being used to maintain connection with other peers, connect to the tracker to get a new peer list, connect up to new peers, etc. If you are maintaining connections to a large number of peers and or trying to make more connections, this will take up lots of bandwidth as well. You can put limits on the number of connections your client would keep. I would suggest lowering those figures until you are able to IM and browse the internet as you would like to. Of course, the less connections you have, the lower download speeds you might get due to less peers connected...but that's just the way it goes. I have run into the same problem. Hope this helps.

Hope this could be of help Jesse.. This type of connection issue with BT programs and others alike are common syptoms of either a router or modem issue. Disconnecting of the modem as you stated in your other reply is a common problem of a problematic router as well.

I used to personally own a Linksys BEFSR41 version 3.0 and had the same issues as you. It is not your Raid array setup. It is your router. I further upgraded onto the BEFSR41 version 4.0 and upgraded to the newest firmwire and bam! - no problems!

However, something else that might be worthy note to you..

This is only regarded for Windows XP SP2 users, is that your half open tcp connections, instead of being set at 50, is set to 10 for SP2. Therefore, such programs such as BitComet could be using too much bandwidth to let in/out data.

You can check this out at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System and than sort columns by 'Event'. If you've noticed any 4226 errors, it means you are suffering from this issue. To remedy this, just go into BitComet and change your settings for half open tcp connections to a lower number, or you can also visit http://www.lvllord.de/ for a link to a patch that modifies your tcpip.sys file from 10 to 50 half open tcp connections for you. You can even set it to a 100 if you desire, for those people who mouth watering drooling connections!

Hope it helps!

Alright I have posted this on numerous forums, and its becoming a PITA.

Symptoms: When running BitTorrent, (tried uTorrent, Azureus, etc) my computer and the internet connection heavily suffer. I have my upload capped, and download max is far from being reached, so its not a bandwidth issue. Also, I am not running nvidia's firewall, or any of their utilities.

I first noticed when connected remotely to home comp and I would frequently lose conneciton when downloading via torrents. Then I went home, tried this with my laptop and a LAN connection (not wireless) and it did the same thing. However, when I lost connection I noticed the hard disks stopped reading/writing for a moment, then kicked back up after a few seconds. This leads me to believe its my RAID array. My old setup was running one raptor, and I used BT every day and never once had this issue.

Now, when the torrent(s) are running, my active connections stay connected, but I cannot make any new ones. Be it instant messengers, or accessing a web page.

I've tried disabling the SATA 3 and 4 ports, and that didn't fix it. Also tried moving the raid to those two ports, and disabling 1 and 2, and still no luck. I also tried a simple reloading of the OS, and nothing beneficial came out of that except for me accidently formatting the drive I backed up everything to. (long story, but ended up as a big laugh). I've tried installing a PCI network card, and that didn't fix it.

Basically, I'm running out of options and don't know where to look/go for help. I hope you all can give me some decent insight, and will give any information I can to help you help me. Thanks in advance.

Edit: one more thing.. it displays my RAID as a removable device.. how do I fix that little issue?

Hope this could be of help Jesse.. This type of connection issue with BT programs and others alike are common syptoms of either a router or modem issue. Disconnecting of the modem as you stated in your other reply is a common problem of a problematic router as well.

I used to personally own a Linksys BEFSR41 version 3.0 and had the same issues as you. It is not your Raid array setup. It is your router. I further upgraded onto the BEFSR41 version 4.0 and upgraded to the newest firmwire and bam! - no problems!

However, something else that might be worthy note to you..

This is only regarded for Windows XP SP2 users, is that your half open tcp connections, instead of being set at 50, is set to 10 for SP2. Therefore, such programs such as BitComet could be using too much bandwidth to let in/out data.

You can check this out at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > System and than sort columns by 'Event'. If you've noticed any 4226 errors, it means you are suffering from this issue. To remedy this, just go into BitComet and change your settings for half open tcp connections to a lower number, or you can also visit http://www.lvllord.de/ for a link to a patch that modifies your tcpip.sys file from 10 to 50 half open tcp connections for you. You can even set it to a 100 if you desire, for those people who mouth watering drooling connections!

Hope it helps!

Hey dimsum, thanx for that patcher link, much better net connections now! Usually running messenger web and emule, but bit more responsive and better loadtimes! Thanx aga in! :shake: