Sign in to follow this  
sauronrx

Suggested VDImm voltage on ballistix

ok SO first time overclocker trying to get going -

Got my max CPU ghz at 2980 (248 FSB x 12 multi)

working on memory -what is the max voltage i should stay at?

anything is houldnt go over?

trying to figure out the max memory i can hit... so many settings... if im unstable - what settings in dram should i look at first?

FSB Bus - 200

LDT/FSB Ratio - x5.0

LDT Bus Transfer width - 16/16

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - x12.0

PCI eXpress Freq - 100 mhz

COol n Quiet - Disable

Cpu VId startup - 1.500 V

CPU Vid control - auto

CPU VID special control - 110% (should i set this higher? whats too much?)

LDT Voltage Control - 1.30 V

Chipset Voltage - 1.60 V (again higher? whats too much?)

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.80 V (higher? lower? couldnt find list of whats best - only lists for OCZ, TCCD Bh-5 chips )

DRAM CONFIGURATION

DRAM Freq Set - 200 1:1

CPC - disable (2T setting, was told this was best for 2 x 1GB sticks? yes or no?)

CAS latency - 3.0 (tried looser first...)

RAS to CAS Delay (trcd) - 4

Min RAS active time (tras) - 8

Row Precharge (trp) - 4

Row Cycle Time (trc) - 12

Row Refresh (trfc) - 17

Row to Row (trrd) - 4

Write recovery time (twr) - 3

Write to read delay (twtr) - 2

Read to write delay (trwt)- 3

Refresh Period (tref) - 3120 (again nothing listed for micron or ballistix memory.. any help? or suggestions?)

Write Cas Latency - AUTO

Dram Bank interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew control - auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM DRive Strength - Level 8

DRAM Data Drive Strenth - Auto (no one talked about this does it matter much)

Max Async Latency - 7.0

Dram response Time - Fast (no one said what to use here)

Read Preamble Time - 5.0

Idle Cycle Limit - 064 cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16x

Bypass Max - 7x

32 byte Granularity - Disable (4 bursts) -- ** everywhere i read says to use Disable (8 burst) but that isnt an option for me - what bios contains that? is it 702? thanks

Right now with these settings im stable - ran OCCT for 10 hours, Memtest no errors, Prime 95 and superpi - all no errors! phew..

But as you can see Im still stock CPUghz - I tried running 220 FSB - and got like 40 errors in memtest... so i guess i need to know where to go from here..

Its an opteron 150, with the CABGE stepping. stock is 2.4 ghz - i would think i should atleast be able to run 3.0 ghz with the way these are overclocking ya?

ya ive read that guide over and over and over again hehe -

i had the memory at 3-3-3-8 1t - but at 250 fsb - it got atleast 42 errors in one pass of mem test 5.

i tried to relax them - just cant seem to get stable...

saw two otehr posts of people running this same chip (opty 150 cabge) at over 3.0 ghz.. no idea why i cant - cpu is never over 35 degrees celsius in any test..

i set all the mem timings according to..http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...179&postcount=4

that post there..

i will try your suggesting tho

hmmm - tried this.. occt wont run stable, cant finish pi either...

am i just that unlucky? I saw 2 examples of air cooled 150's hitting over 3.0 ghz - i cant even run stable at 250 FSB...

ugh.

Which are you trying to overclock first? your CPU or your RAM?

i am a bit worried that you get errors in memtest with your RAM running at 250fsb

i would re test your RAM - set up your BIOS as if you were trying to find your max RAM speed (as detailed in AMD o/c'ing guide) set your RAM FSB to 250 and run a full memtest. If you get any errors then i think you should contact Crucial and tell them it's not runnig at stated speeds. You may have some duff sticks! :(

ok i tested my cpu out first - lowered LDT ratio to x3 - set divider to 1:1 - loose timings now - 3-3-3-8 1t - all else on AUTO -

CPU max ghz - 248 FSB x 12.0 - anything above that and i get errors in OCCT, and SuperPI... grrrr cant believe this cant break 3.0 ghz what a crappy OC..

To test mem - lowered CPU multi to x8.0 - FSB back to 200 - divider still at 1:1 - LDT ratio to x5.0 -

@200 FSB - no errors on test #5 of memtest..

@220 FSB - atleast 40 errors on test #5 of memtest...

Is there a way to tell which stick is bad? im running 2x 1gb of PC4000 ballistix.

I have a 3rd stick here - as Im waiting on a 4th stick.. Should I just test each one in the 2nd orange slot - and try to hit 250 FSB with this setup , or am i forgetting a setting?

If its pc4000 it SHOULD run at 250 FSB right?

when testing your mem you need to put the LDT ratio down to about 2.5 so you know it isn't causing you problems.

yes you can test one stick at a time, just do exactly as you have been but with only one stick.

If you can't get 3-3-3-8 timings at 250 fsb i would be considering RMAing them, but check the crucial website first and see what they say