Sign in to follow this  
djspe

Best Case for SI-120 DFI NF4 Ultra-D Setup

Can anyone recommend an optimal case for an overclocked A64-3200 with an SI-120 cooler and pabst fan on the DFI NF4 Ultra-D? Because of the more centralized location of the CPU socket, most of the cases I've looked at with side vents look like they won't match up. At first I thought I'd just go with a case without a side vent but my 7800GT gets very hot and I'd like to get some fresh air on the bottom left of the case.

TIA, this community has been very helpful.

My rig (work in progress):

Althon 64 3200 e3 @ 2.4Ghz 1.45V (10x240)

DFI NF4 Ultra-D

2x512MB OCZ Platinum Rev 2 1:1 CPU/Mem 1.7V (480 DDR)

Stock Athlon Cooler -- SI-120 on deck

Enermax FMA Series535W

Antec Super Lanboy (temporary case)

eVGA 7800GT 256MB

2xWD1200JD Raid 0

Can anyone recommend an optimal case for an overclocked A64-3200 with an SI-120 cooler and pabst fan on the DFI NF4 Ultra-D? Because of the more centralized location of the CPU socket, most of the cases I've looked at with side vents look like they won't match up. At first I thought I'd just go with a case without a side vent but my 7800GT gets very hot and I'd like to get some fresh air on the bottom left of the case.

TIA, this community has been very helpful.

My rig (work in progress):

Althon 64 3200 e3 @ 2.4Ghz 1.45V (10x240)

DFI NF4 Ultra-D

2x512MB OCZ Platinum Rev 2 1:1 CPU/Mem 1.7V (480 DDR)

Stock Athlon Cooler -- SI-120 on deck

Enermax FMA Series535W

Antec Super Lanboy (temporary case)

eVGA 7800GT 256MB

2xWD1200JD Raid 0

Why dont you just cut a hole in the side window and put a fan exactly where you want it and get an arctic cooler for your 7800GT?

Why dont you just cut a hole in the side window and put a fan exactly where you want it and get an arctic cooler for your 7800GT?

I'd rather just get a whole new case that gets excellent cooling. I think the LanBoy is an ok case but I need more cooling and more space. I'm looking at the Antec p180 (seems popular around here) or the Thermaltake XASER VA800BWS Armor series looks very enticing.

Can anyone who has one of these comment on how well it suits the DFI NF4?

I'd rather just get a whole new case that gets excellent cooling. I think the LanBoy is an ok case but I need more cooling and more space. I'm looking at the Antec p180 (seems popular around here) or the Thermaltake XASER VA800BWS Armor series looks very enticing.

Can anyone who has one of these comment on how well it suits the DFI NF4?

Would you really want your psu on the bottom of your case?

Would you really want your psu on the bottom of your case?

I thought the whole point of that is to have a cooler chamber for the MB/CPU. It got some great reviews. Look like a large HS like the SI-120 would fit.

I thought the whole point of that is to have a cooler chamber for the MB/CPU. It got some great reviews. Look like a large HS like the SI-120 would fit.
The SI-120 DOES fit (in the P-180), but you'll most likely have to take out the VGA duct. Although, it's really useless IMHO.

FYI I just got done putting together a P-180/NF4 Ultra-D/SI-120 setup...

I have a lian-li pc-60, I prefer small cases for now, its very practical but for some reason I want to get a new one, for my new rig was thinking of another lian-li, lol? maybe pc-65B, or maybe black window tsunami dream for some newer tooless features, newer looking, and already partially modded, but the downside is it dosent have a pc peaker, not sure if ultra-d has one built in... the removable mobo tray the lian-li's have.

Angrygames, is your team the NJ devils? Can I boo Malakhov ? j/k, Good to hear Brodeur is back, now devils will win, but good luck without Stevens and Niedermayer... Here in Mtl things going good, Markov and Perezhogin are doing very good, Markov player of the month, Comrade Kovalev is 'welding' this team together and has mad skills too, he is on a mission and is very appreciated in Mtl, not to mention we are still leading the eastern conference :D It's Saturday and It's hockey night in Canada!!!

i picked up Rivet on my fantasy hockey league team lol

damn Habs....sheesh

good to see the Senators kicking everyone's butt these days

good to see we have 4 games where a player has scored 4 goals by himself also

Thanks for the feedback. I might just go back to the old LL case... I have an old P4 1.6A @ 2.1 Ghz on stock that's been running solid for 4 years. I think it has something to do with the case, a Lian-Li PC 62B. I really do love that case, I was just worried about it not getting enough airflow to the bottom back of the case without a side intake because the 2 front 80mm fans are already pushing through the full HD case. I just can't bring myself to cut into this shiny case.

Anyways I see that's of users here are happy with cases without side intakes... ah decisions. Good to know that the SI-120 will fit in the Antec p180. I'll try the LL case and see what kind of temps I get on the 7800.

I like the Stacker's little brother, the Centurion 5.

And as far as hockey goes, you've got a St. Louis Blues fan here. It's horrible, horrible times in STL. Could any owner have chosen a worse time to bail on his franchise than during the free agent frenzy we saw at the end of summer? And bye bye, Pronger, this franchise is easier to sell without you. :rolleyes: Thank God for Center Ice and a few teams with real talent. That Jason Spezza's been fun to watch this season. And with Alfredsson and Heatley on his wings, they're point producing machines!

Sign in to follow this