WindowsXP 64 Issues Install

Just getting around to getting a fresh XP set up. Decided to go with XP Pro 64.

A bit of messing around and an hour later, I've got the system posting and can get Windows Setup started from the CD.

The drives (2x300GB Maxtor SATA) are both detected fine in the BIOS and I've configured them (F4) to RAID 1 prior to trying to install windows. No apparent issues with that. ***Drives installed on SATA 5 & 6 ***

First issue.. no 64Bit SATA Raid drivers on the floppy included with the Mobo. :(

Downloaded from DFI site & ran their exe.. Back to windows set up: kept getting error when trying to load Drivers in windows setup ("this disk contains an unrecognizable file system"). Grrr. Tried several floppies, a few downloads, and 2 different machines running 2 different OSes (XPPro and Win2k)

Finally checked the CD and just copied the files from the WinXP64 Raid folder to a floppy disk. This seemed to work in that XP setup would properly detect the drivers anyhow. (Silicon Image 3114 SATARaid Controller (Amd - 64bit))

However, furthering the install a minute longer and it reports "did not find any hard drives installed".

I've never installed XP64 before, and I've not done a fresh install on a RAID set-up either, so I'm not sure where to turn next.

Help please..

I've check and tried a few different option in the BIOS also..on real relevant setting I saw was "Genie Bios Setting - PCI Device COntrol - Sil3114 S-ATA RAID Control - : I've tried setting it to "SATA RAID" and "SATA RAID 0,1,0+1,5".

No further progress or changes apparent.

QUick Q: These are fresh NEW drives..do they need to be seperatly and indivually Formatted BEFORE I can do any RAID on them?

I have been unable to install to the 3114 controller, use port 3 & 4 of the 3112 controller and you should be ok. I have moved them to the other controller once windows was installed and had the proper drivers installed for the 3114, but the performance was horrible.

Ok, not what I had in mind.. It's sickening to have to just "not use" something rather than have a fix for it..

But at this point I just want the dang thing up and running as close to as I planned as possible.

So..I switched the SATA cables to Sata3&4 on the 3112. Set the BIOS to "RAID" function, and created the Mirroed RAAID config with the raidbuilder.

Gets me to the same point as the last try..not finding HDDs.

Has ANYONE succesfully installed XP64 on one of these boards using SATA RAID?

Further inspection I see that the driver disk is only showing the 3114 drivers.

I checked the CD and see no refernce to the 3112 drivers. :(

What am I missing?

Did anyone get the 3112 driver download (Revision 1.2.3.1 ) from DFI to actaully succefully create a useable disk for installation? **UPDATE I see that download is only for the 3114 also..**

Okay..plan D:

Since there seems to be no download available for the 3112 Raid 64, I scour the CD. Nothing too promising, so I try the "5-8-igp_xp64_sb_25206" file in the "RDX200_Drivers"

This extracts the files before running the installation process. I get the files extracted and canel the install. In the folder with the extracted files, I find "SRAID64a". This looks promising, as it has all the same files as the 3114 drivers did, except they say 3112.

I put these files on floppy, and cross my fingers.

XP install says "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Driver" Yippie!

I load it up and continue.

And once again get "not hard drives installed"...

le sigh.

I'm out of ideas.

Have also now put the drives on SATA 1&2. No luck.

When I turn of RAID features and just had one drive installed, I was able to proceed as normal..so I know it's not the HDD. Plus, I've ran the MaxBlast diagnostics with no errors.

Has ANYONE gotten RAID 1to work in any instance?

Ok, no luck with the 3112 either. :(

Grrrrr.

Let me recap my steps to make sure I'm doing this right..

Set BIOS setting for SATA controller to RAID.

Create RAID (f4 during POST)

Raid created using the 2 drives listed (the only 2 HDD in the system) set to RAID 1.

Restart system. No errors lsited, raid set shows up as it should during POST.

Boot from XP CD to start set up. Press F6 to specify drivers for SATA.

Insert floppy, choose appropriate driver from disk.

Press enter to use this driver and not specifiy any further.

That's about it..then it says no drives found and isntall cannot continue.

I guess I'll try RAID 0 and maybe narrow it down to faulty RAID 1 support on this board..

You need to do the "S" step twice: once for the controller and once for the device. Just setup XP64 myself with 2x Maxtor and when using the correct floppy for F6 it should work.

Just make sure that you use the Nvidia controller and that you have configured Striping in the RAID BIOS and deleted all data that was existent.