Sign in to follow this  
gravy

Ok Ok, Again, Please Make A Recommendation

I am looking to upgrade to an AMD 1700-2100 as I have read alot of reviews and such about how easily overclockable they are.

I'm thinking get the 2100 and push it a little instead of getting the 1700 and pushing it way out there as I am not able to upgrade very frequently.

Any other suggestions on CPU's? Also would like your opinion on which motherboard would work best, looks like with KT333 chipset for this CPU, been looking at Asus, Chaintech, and Soyo boards.

Will my 400W PSU be suffecient in an OC situation with two hard drives, two optical drives, etc....?

What do you recommend for a CPU and Northbridge cooler(AIR, not going the water route)?

I know this thread has probably been around forever, but please, just bear with me and give me your experiences with what you think will work best, thanks.

but as I said I cannot upgrade very often, you know the whole $$$$$$$$$ thing, so I figure, spend a little more, get the 2100, it's faster without oc'ing and will not have to run as hot or as hard to reach the same speed as the 1700, thus extending life and reliability, true?

I'd say either the A7N8X or the A7V8X (if budget is a serios issue the A7V333 is also a solid board that will oc and supports the 166mhz fsb bartons upto a 3000+).

CPU wise, the 1700+ to 2400+ tbreds are all pretty much the same chip with a different multiplier lock on em now. I'd go with who ever is cheapest there, OR pickup an OEM 2500+ barton for under $100 now.

Have a look at the Epox and Abit Nforce2 boards, both very good performers.

My Epox is great, very solid and I can get my XP2100+ to 2200Mhz using the multiplier. Unfortunately I can't overclock using FSB, my ram really sucks the bag. :( Gotta get some new ram soon.

yeah, that's what I'm talking about though, I am not trying to set a new OC record, I want a system I can tweak some, but retain stability and such, but not lose $500.00 if things go bad :huh:

If I can get a mb, CPU, and ram for say..........$250-$300.00 USD, and still use what I have, then I'll be happy for a while

I'm sure I can do what I want to do with a 2Gig CPU, just as well as with a 3.0Gig one, and besides, once I upgrade that stuff, I will have my video card creating a bottleneck then. :O

my 1700 goes farther then my 2100 did at stock volts 1.5 for the 1700 got me 2200mhz+ and 1.6 for the 2100 got me just below the 2200 mark i have had 2 1700's and 1 2100 and the best one is my 0319 wpmw 1700+ it goes farther and runs the same temp as my 2100 at a lower voltage. anyways if you can get one of these 0319 wpmw's they arnt pushed as hard as the 2100's are to reach the same mhz

as far as you psu if it is a good psu it should work just find if it is generic i would reccomend a better one but try it after you get your new stuff you never know.

and a little info on the newer 1700's they seam to draw alot of power from the 12v side (weird) with my 2100 my 12v side was above 12v with the 1700 its 11.49 @ 2550mhz on a nf7-s 2.0

if you dont have a board already and you looking to spend around 100 dollars i would recomend the nf7 line of boards lots of overclocking lots of voltage without mods to the board.

as far as the north bridge cooler on my nf7-s i have the stock cooler and it does fine for me 227 mhz fsb before i have any problems i have seen people taking these boards to 250 fsb but i am not as cool as those people

my .02

have fun

thanks for the information v8vega350 :D

I had to put my upgrading on hold for now, but I gave the bug to my Dad, so I am using this info to help him build another. By the time I am done with that I will better know what I need or don't need. :P

Ok, I'm going to take a shot at this (I'm an Intel fanboy so...), but I'd say try the 2500 barton with the A7N8X (I believe that's the mobo). Its not that expensive and if I'm not mistaken that's the system my mother is running (i know that the mobo is one of the A7 boards but not too sure which).

I just bought the gigabyte n7400 pro board, running my xp1800 and both work great. I recommend this board to anyone and also recommend the intel version of the same board. I think im going to get one for my brother. they are that good.....