9700pro Vs 9800

Recon

9700PRO vs 9800 (non-pro)

Which is better? I can't find many reviews of the 9800 online.

Thanks

i wish i could find the review of the 9800 and a 9700 that i read last week (here at work..and temp. internet files got deleted)

Basically, while yes there were improvements in the actual technology, the BIGGEST difference between the two cards was the speed it ran on. So, i'd just get the 9700 and OC it...or get 9500, softmod it, and then OC it, but that's a gamble with the 9500.

gl

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone found found a review yet? It seems strange to me that the 9800(non-pro) is actaully cheaper than the 9700pro if they are so evenly matched. Some people even say the 9800(non-pro) is better...

:blink:

I have been told:

9800 non pro is only a little slower then the 9700 pro, but cheaper and fixes some hardware problems as well. It also overclocks better then the 9700 pro.
and
They are as fast as one another, the 9700pro may have a slight edge (in current games) due to faster memory clock, but even that may soon change...

The 9800NP has the Stencil shadow bug (that affects the R300 core) fixed ready for the new wave of games, the bug is supposed to affect performance by upto 20% in games that utilise such operations (Doom 3, probably HL2 and more i've heard).

Another reason to get the 9800NP is that it will most likely overclock crap near 9800pro speeds, whereas the 9700pro has no chance in hell.

You'd be an idiot to buy the 9700pro over the 9800np unless it was over 25% cheaper.

Edited by Recon