Nforce4 chipset to hot?

There is obviously a great variability amongst the quality of chipset fans, my board is only a month old from newegg and the chipset fan makes a "wooooo! wooo!" noise like an air raid siren in the distance. Very annoying and its louder than all seven other fans in the case put together.

I believe the chipset is rated to be ok for temps up to 60c, mine currently idles at 43c and goes up to 49c under load (my fan doesn't kick in fully until 50c so i don't have to put up with the noise!)

Actually I believe it is rated much higher than that. 60C seems to be what people have settled on as a good mid point for safety's sake. Just as the CPUs can run over 50C, but it is best to be safe and not push it.

That chipset cooler 'mod' helps a lot! I used to idle at 50C! After that mod I went down to about 45C.

What really has helped is that I put the CrossFlow fan into my CoolerMaster Stacker case. Even with the CrossFlow slowed down to sub audible speeds, the chipset is now at 34C idle @ 2000 RPM's for the chipset fan. :P

Ok, im getting worried.

My chipset idles at 49-52 and reaches about 55-57 during load.

Reading around on the forums doesnt help, all i see is "50 is ok" "50 could kill it"

So wich one is it? Any help appreciated.

And its not just mine, a buddys computer idles at the same temps.

:confused:

Shub

Yes mine makes a wooooooooooooooooo! sound too at full speed and it's able to be heard well over the 10 other fans in my computer 6 being the case fans(loud as hell around 80mm) 1 cpu fan(not audible with all other fans running) video card fan (can't hear that) and psu fans(can't really hear that either) I'd say the chipset fan is the most audible at full speed because of the high pitch and it's always switching from full to slower to full and that makes it annoying.

fitted the copper Evercool VC-RE, 6 C drop in temp. now idle 40 C, load 46 C. mind you given when I had a X600XT it was load 40 C, and fan did not turn on at idle after fitting front 120mm case fan.

Now with the 7800GTX exhaust being 41 C, the NF4 46 C idle with the standard chipset cooler was to be expected. As the 41 C is the ambient air temp for the NF4.

The evercool is larger than the standard DFi cooler so pulls in fresh air.