4 LEDs - is my CPU borked?

I've been running my system basically 24-7 (not under load) for a while now. Today was working on comp in Windows when suddenly my comp seems to reset except nothing happens. The fans are on but blank screen and no post beeps! So I eventually disconnect nearly everything and even remove RAM to see if it makes diff (not yet removed graphics card) but when I start it I always get the 4 LEDs with no post beeps (used to get pst beeps e.g. when prob with my RAM). Fans etc come on and stay on. Don't appear to be able to turn off mobo with switch (holding down doesn't turn it off either). It just sits there doing nothing.

I've cleared CMOS quickly including removing battery. Haven't tried an ultra long clear yet.

All power connectors are connected to mobo.

I read 4 LEDs means PSU detected should get 3 if CPU detected which it doesn't :-( So assuming CMOS clear doesn't help is it likely to be a borked CPU? Altermatively could be a borked mobo but I really hope that isn't the case because I had to buy my mobo from overseas so it's going to be a classy lady to RMA it :-(

It doesn't necessarily mean your cpu is bad, if the board is bad the same 4 lights could be on too - they just mean the board is powered. If the board doesn't run code (read the bos chip), then it could be stuckat 4 leds... at least this happened to me on a different dfi board, so i would think they work the same way.

If you have any other ways to test your cpu, ram and psu (maybe another motherboard), i would try them to verify all is good with them, and then rma the board.

Well yes as I'm guessing it's either the CPU or the board, but I do REALLY hope it's the CPU. Unfortunately the only way to test my CPU is to take it in since I don't have access to any other 939 mobo nor do I have access to another 939 CPU. This will cost me if the CPU is okay but I don't have any other choice.

The PSU seems fine, at least the fans, drives etc come on. I'll try it with another mobo but it might not tell me much more since I don't have any other mobo which uses the 4 pin. Similarly for the RAM and graphics but I doubt it's them because as said, if I remove RAM totally I used to get post beeps, now nothing.

Hmm so I've tried the 2 different sticks of RAM (my RAM appears fine in any case) and the PSU and also with a working PCI graphics card still the same :-(

Do you have plugged all power connectors to the mainboard?

I think your mainboard or CPU have a serious problem (maybe broken). Could you test your cpu on other mainboard? a friend?

good luck!

You might have losr the 5 Volt Rail n your PSU. Do you have a second PSU or Multi-meter

to check that. Too little info to make good diagnosis. Most likely culprit is PSU, next most likely is CPU.

4 leds are lit during power up and search for CPU.

3 leds indicate found CPU and searching for RAM.

With the sudden onset, I would suspect PSU.

Well as said, the PSU works with another comp and as far as I know, my PSU only has one +5V rail so I highly doubt the +5v rail is dead. However I'm unable to test the 24pin of my PSU as I only have a 20 pin mobo to test it with and I also can't test the extra 4 pin 12V so it's possible something is not being picked up in the other test. My PSU def has two 12V rails so maybe one of them is not being tested I don't know about that.