Bios Versions

Hi all,this may sound dumb but are the latest BIOS updates

for my MOBO the best or could earlier versions be better.

Logic tells me later the better but thats not always the case.

MOBO is ASUS A7S333. AMD ATHLON xp2000(palamino) :wacko:

That is not a dumb question at all

it actually is a tough one.....

the manufacturer will say....if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

but the BIOS many times includes new features....

in my opinion.. if you have a stable system.. you want it to run day in, day out with no issues, you probably are fine.

or

you love tweaking and geeking, want to push the envelope and always need the latest stuff (this would be me! B) )

then upgrade.....

I always tell people that you MUST UNDERSTAND the RISK involved anytime you play with your BIOS

if your power goes out or you screw up....you now own a DEAD motherboard...

as long as you understand this....and follow BIOS update directions (personally I have never had a problem.......yet!)

then update away

Clear as mud?

Hope that helps a bit :blink:

Thanx dude,I was cruzin 4 sum driver updates and noticed there was 4 versions

of my bios and it just poped in my head wether which was best.I went 4 the latest and works well.

I was wondering wether any earlier versions lets you mod vcore settings as this one dousnt.Prob not

if latest dousnt but you never know.

I have to add my opinion.... I have found that using the second release for my P4PE [1002] was actually better than the 3 updates which followed.... Their latest version [1006-beta] is the only update that shows greater potential....

tell ya right now, avoid the 1018 beta release for that board, it sucks hard. 

1017 is the newest true release, and thus far has been very stable

done a google search 4 beta 1017 and it appears that bios is for a7v333 not the a7s333

which I have.Thanx anyway dude.I was hoping to find a BIOS that allow me to adjust

the vcore or am I barking up the wrong tree.I found I can do this by cutting and painting

bridges on the cpu but I was hoping to avoid this as I'm new to this and I think baby steps

are the way to go for now. CHEERS

Edited by muzz

i agree with the if it aint broke dont fix it routine. I tried updating my bios and did have a power failure. Now i have one dead board. If anyone knows how i can get this working again i would greatly appreciate it. Do i just need new bios chip? If so where can i get one and does it have to be the same. I have read about hot swapping. Anyone tried this and how did it go? Thanks in advance