Nforce 4 + Logitech 5500D = digital 5.1?

okay so I have the rig in my signiture, and I am moved the coax jumper over, and set up my logitech z5500-D speakers in Coax mode, and pluged an RCA cable from the spidf out to my logitech reciever, and it seems to work great, but only in stereo! when I go through the nvidia Nvmixer speaker wizard, and it detects that I am using digital, it automatically sets up 2.0, and thats the end, and when I have no applications running my reciever says "no digital data" but when I turn on Itunes, it says "stereo" I went back to Nvmixer and manually set 5.1, and still, its getting a stereo signal, should I install a 5.1 game and test it?

truthfully I have great ears, but is there any better quality using digital sound over the analog cables? if not I will just use analog to get 5.1 data.

What should I do?

anyone know how to get 5.1 digital coax on this setup?

Guest Berrern

I've heard about people having the same problems with this set.

I've got the Z-5500 myself, and I use the analogue cables. I've tried using the digital option once (the fibre cable), with my PS2, and I got surround sound then. Never tried the Coax, unfortunately..

Hello,

for digital 5.1 sound you would need a Dolby Digital Encoder or DTS Encoder sound card. Onboard sound is always stereo (in digital mode) except for DVD viewing, where the digital 5.1 audio stream is coming directly from DVD. If you connect your speakers in analog mode you'd get 5.1 surround (depending on the software using 6 channels).

ChriZ