Sign in to follow this  
racinjimy

unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

Be patient, you will get it right. Get one of them small slide rules with a T so you can measure the height on surface of mobo to top surface of block ;) . Thats how I did it, very evenly. :nod:

I was thinking the same thing.

Looks like I got it right this time. I must have put too thin a layer of AS5 the first two times. I applied a thicker layer of AS5 on the third attempt. I tightened the waterblock down pretty hard and core1 is not failing first anymore. CPU temp has dropped ~3C.

I'm currently dual priming 3G @ 1.5V. I can't believe that it hasn't errorred out yet. It used to error within 30sec. Now both cores are priming strong.

I hope this last at least 1hr. I would love to be prime stable @ 3G but I would maintain around 2.8G with low volts.

I was very disappointed initially but now I'm loving it. Just totally amazed with my 0550 VPMW now. It has now reached its potential. Looks like I'll be posting some benches and screen shots tomorrow.

cjoe

I see you have the Asetek rig, do you have a reserviour on there? Try and take it out of the loop and see if you can get the water much cooler. I took out mine and got good results. It also helps that I got a very large radiator. :nod:

I see you have the Asetek rig, do you have a reserviour on there? Try and take it out of the loop and see if you can get the water much cooler. I took out mine and got good results. It also helps that I got a very large radiator. :nod:

I had a dual 5.25" res earlier and took it out because there was little benefit. I have a tiny one next to the pump now.

3G @ 1.5V is a no go. Core0 errored out of prime95 after 5min. Thought I had it. Tried all the way up to 1.525V and still errors out.

Looks like I go back to the old burn in strategy. I'm going to prime95 @ 2.95 with 1.45V for a couple of days and then try 3G again. I was too optimistic to jump from 2.9G -> 3.0G considering it couldn't even prime 3G using any voltage.

Darn. I thought I was there!! What a huge disappointment.

cjoe.

Nice :)

Wish my VPMW did that ;P I'm running it at 2.79 for now, will wait a week or so then try for 2.8 :P

VPMW's seem to like lower voltage. Have you tried burning it in at ~1.375V. Your CPU seems to need alot of volts for 2.75G. My VPMW does not like > 1.5V. My CPU just does not respond. I've tried upto 1.55V and core0 is still unstable. Volt-s has his up to 1.65V but it does not make any difference for my cpu.

cjoe

2.7ghz for me is 1.45v

I spent a week priming for 2 hours at each 1Mhz HTT to get up to 2.79. changed the voltages every so slightly at a time whenever it crashed.

got it to 2.79 and it passed 8 hours of prime.

That looks like an odd voltage for a dual core. Is that what you see in CPU-Z or what is set in BIOS? Cause I thought the opty's were either 1.33 or 1.4 depending on the chip you got. Anyway, that' is an awesome overclock on your 170 regardless. I have a friend who's chip shows 1.4 on auto. :)

I have noticed on the SLI DR if I set everything to auto on vcore except the startup vcore to 1.55...I get a higher vcore...auto everything usually in the bios is 1.33..auto everything except startup vcore..I get 1.38 in the bios

My 170 0550 vpmw will run xp at 2800 at stock vcore but I have to run a very low divider for prime 95(ie 100 divider)...my chip runs very hot...idles with BT at 37/38C

I was able to run 10hrs of large fft with 2700 and ram at 225(Gskill ddr 500) and max load temps hit like 48C

interestingly last I ran at 2800 with ram at 254(9/10 divider) ...cant recall now the vcore 1.4v...encoded for 10min which would die in Prime95..yet it was at 100% load on both cores with temps at 51C

That looks like an odd voltage for a dual core. Is that what you see in CPU-Z or what is set in BIOS? Cause I thought the opty's were either 1.33 or 1.4 depending on the chip you got. Anyway, that' is an awesome overclock on your 170 regardless. I have a friend who's chip shows 1.4 on auto. :)

vCore as is set in BIOS at 1.35 but CPUz reads 1.3 also NVidia Monitor seems to think its 1.3... I'll have to brush the dust of my AVO Mark 9 to really find out...

From AMD's site:

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/opteron/de...opn=OSA170CDBOX

Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor Details

CPU ID Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor Model 170

Model 170

Ordering Parts Number (OPN) OSA170CDBOX

Stepping E6

Frequency 2.0GHz

HyperTransport™ Technology Speed 1000MHz

Integrated Memory Controller 2.0GHz

********* Core Voltage 1.3 V/1.35 V *****************************

Case Temperature 49° C to 65° C