Sign in to follow this  
racinjimy

unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

Thought I'd post a pic because some people were interested a few replys ago, but i've had my comp down lately.

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/2159/stepping2vd.jpg

Short Story : CCB1E 0550 VPMW

2.7Ghz at 1.56v on air (XP-120) (top on) 270x10 ambient 38degrees load 56

2.7Ghz at 1.58v on water (G5 silver waterblock + swiftech 650) ambient 30 degrees load 38 degrees.

I think i may have a seating problem, but I will fix that when my VC-RE and other fans arrive.

That could be why I need more volts to do the same thing.

1.35v gets 2.5ghz Easy. 2.55Ghz impossible on 1.35v 2.6ghz avaliable at 1.45v

For some reason this core just cries at me for voltage, and it shouldn't.

I will update once i get my cooling finished (my case is horrible atm) and reseat my waterblock with some new AS5. Hopefully i will get some better results.

Thought I'd post a pic because some people were interested a few replys ago, but i've had my comp down lately.

2.7Ghz at 1.58v on water (G5 silver waterblock + swiftech 650) ambient 30 degrees load 38 degrees.

I think i may have a seating problem, but I will fix that when my VC-RE and other fans arrive.

I will update once i get my cooling finished (my case is horrible atm) and reseat my waterblock with some new AS5. Hopefully i will get some better results.

what batch number ..ie last 3 numbers on third line

Mine does the EXACT same thing. Runs fine on 1.45v @ 2.6GHz. 1.55+ needed for 2.75 1.6v for 2.8. Good thing I have water.

I am betting that your CPU has a bad mount. The local computer store mounted my Opteron 170 processor and Zalman heatsink for free. Unfortunately, the person who did it botched the job (had probably 10 X the thermal paste on it). The first time I tried running a low level OC (2400 MHz at stock voltages) on my CPU using Dual Prime 95, my Smart Guardian load temps hit 62 C and my motherboard shut the computer down! Needless to say, I was NOT impressed.

Once I redid the mount with a very thin layer of AS5, my temps dropped to 36 C under load with Dual Prime! At my current stable 2690 MHz OC with 1.333 V (1.075 V + 24% ), my temps never go above 41 C.

Try using the other two values instead, I am sure they will work to what ever vcore voltage you set them to.

Use this table, easier than using a calculator:

a64vid0ej.jpg

If for example you want the vcore to be 1.4v then set CPU VID to 1.275 and CPU VID Special to 110%.

AMD64 processors have a vcore limit, not sure what the Opterons have but maybe thats why you can't increase it manually using the first value. The other two are used to "fool" this limit by using a low CPU VID and using a % multiplier to increase it with out the CPU ever knowing whats happening :)

The official reason is other... thats just my humble interpretation :P

I just wanted to thank Sorrento for his input. I tried playing with the CPU VID and VID special settings on my motherboard, and raised my stable OC under Dual Prime 95 to 2690 MHz.

There may still be more to gain, as I haven't pushed voltage much, but my current setting of 1.075 V VID and 24% VID special (1.333 V if I calculated right) have improved my OC while only raising load temps by about 1 C.

I thought rising the first vcore value was enough but also saw the same problems almost as if the extra voltage was no real or something. These CPU's have limits increasing the voltage in the "normal way", thats why certain manufacturers came up with the idea of using diferent way to increase the voltage; the other two values are cheating the CPU thinking it is 1.075 volts and not 1.333 volts, so imagine how much you can increase it and that way reach higher clocks: 2.69 ghz seems to be a slow speed now :)

Ok.

Last night at about midnight I got annoyed enough at my temps to rip my waterblock off, reapply my AS and tighten down my waterblock V.hard.

Bingo lower temps lol.

2.7ghz now at 1.425v 25degrees idle, 34 degrees load

priming now at 2.8ghz 1.51volts (QQ 1.425/1.44/1.48 are just not enough, instant prime fail)

I am getting ready to mount my new Thermalright XP-90C heatsink, but am planning on lapping the two mating surfaces first. I have never done this before, but think I understand the basic concepts. I plan to do the following:

1) purchase wet/dry sand paper in grit ranges from about 600-2000

2) mount the sandpaper on a flat surface

3) progressively work up through the ranges of grit to eventually achieve a mirrorlike finish

4)finish off with some sort of metal polish (I have both Brasso and Autosol paste)

The lapping process will be done by applying light pressure to CPU and heatsink assemblies, doing no more than three strokes at a time in any one direction, and varying direction so as to sand in all 8 points on a compass.

After the final polishing is done, I will clean both mating surfaces using the new two part Artic Silver cleaning solution.

I will apply a super thin layer of Artic Silver Ceramic thermal compound between the mating surfaces to enhance heat transfer.

I have a 20" x 48" x 1" thick piece of plexiglass I was planning to use as a mount for the sandpaper. It is apparently flat (smooth to the touch with no surface abrasions), and has enough room so I can mount all the necessary sandpaper in a row.

My questions are these:

1) Is my plexiglass a suitable surface to work on, or should I get an actual piece of plate glass? Would glass be a flatter surface?

2) Is it safe to lap the IHS while it is still on the processor, or do I need to remove it and then remount it later? I will be using the black foam piece that came with the processor to protect the pins.

3) Is the process as I outlined it essentially correct, or should something be modified?

That plexiglass is too big, more than enough, it should be good because it is flat. I used a 20"x16" glass that I took out of a picture frame that I bought for 2 bucks at Walmart.

On #2, I hope you know what you are doing, lapping the cpu's IHS is not worth the risk of damaging the cpu pins and killing it. I was going to do it by I removed the IHS instead, thus my Opty is naked.

Yea, If he's considering removing the IHS and lapping it, he might as well just leave the IHS off. It'll be like reverting to the AthlonXP/THunderbird days - just gotta be careful applying the heatsink :)