unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

LMFAO!!! so i'm installing this 175 with a BT right? well i have a Silverstone SST-TJ03 with the slide out mobo tray. i put it all together on the tray and when i go to slide it in... the top of the BT's fan grill hits the support strut of the case. HAHAHA this thing is freakin huge!

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started playing with this Opty 180 (CCBWE 0543UPMW) OEM (Newegg).

I had to juice up the volts to 1.50 to get core #1 stable past 2600 and now she is running @ 2795 dual instances of Prime95 (8 hours). I was hoping for 3000 but I'm not willing to take the lid off.

My full load temps are 50* celcius. I think I will leave the settings here until I break the cpu in for a few weeks.

kinda strange. popped in the 175, up and running, but when i run everest memory read i score 5440MB/s. with my winnie i scored just over 6000 at the same mem speed. i thought the opty had a supperior mem controller. not only that but the mem write is lower and the latency went from ~45ns to ~57ns!! that's a huge spike.

Edit: think i have a lame duck. sitting at 2.7G at 1.6V... not stable. CPU0 is killing me! seems like cpu1 will prime forever while cpu0 just craps out after a minute.

i ran burnk7 on cpu0 all night for about 7 hours. am running prime on just cpu0 now, have passed 5 minutes so far... this in itself is a miracle :rolleyes:

ah, error at 5 min 48 secs. guess i spoke too soon. how hot is PWMIC likely to get? last night i saw it hit 70+C

kinda strange. popped in the 175, up and running, but when i run everest memory read i score 5440MB/s. with my winnie i scored just over 6000 at the same mem speed. i thought the opty had a supperior mem controller. not only that but the mem write is lower and the latency went from ~45ns to ~57ns!! that's a huge spike.

What are your frequency, multiplier and memory settings on the Opteron in comparison to the settings on the Winchester? The memory controller won't make any difference in your Everest score if the Opteron has looser settings or is running at a lower frequency.

Edit: think i have a lame duck. sitting at 2.7G at 1.6V... not stable. CPU0 is killing me! seems like cpu1 will prime forever while cpu0 just craps out after a minute.

i ran burnk7 on cpu0 all night for about 7 hours. am running prime on just cpu0 now, have passed 5 minutes so far... this in itself is a miracle :rolleyes:

ah, error at 5 min 48 secs. guess i spoke too soon. how hot is PWMIC likely to get? last night i saw it hit 70+C

1.6V? 70C? Sounds like you're in a big hurry to turn your Opteron into an expensive keychain.

Most of the Xtremesys gang seem to apply this method for dual-core Optys:

Start out by seeing how far you can push it at 1.5V and keep it stable, then let both cores burn in overnight. After that you should be able to push it a bit farther at that voltage- then repeat the process.

It might take a few days to find your max clockrate with a dual Opty, but you'll end up with a more stable OC without the risk of having a mushroom cloud blow out the top of your computer case.

I'll try that method tonight. do you have a link to a thread over at xtremesys about what you said?

thx.

Here's a thread for posting experiences in dealings with DC Optys. It takes a bit of digging to find the best methods since nobody has compiled a simplified guide yet.

Link to thread on dual-core Opteron results

...and here's a thread dealing with the process I was talking about:

Link to thread on burn-in

I know about ixtapalapaquetl with his superb CCBWE 0530TPMW but this step is absolutely unavailable in Europe :sad: ...

Is there someone else that has tested an Opteron 175 in overclock and is successful to push it close to 3GHZ (on air)? :eek:

In that case i would want to know the step!!!

Thanks very much for the help

Well ive ordered one from komplette but they dont have it till 20th december, hope to have it by christmas (sounds sarcastic but is very true lol) and get some resaults out of it. Is the steppings written on the proccessor itself though, never had look at them before