unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

memory is a real issue with these opterons...
What makes you say that? I have had 3 dual cores and have not had any issues with RAM. I think this is a fallacy. There's a lot of bad info going 'round about the optys because noobs are buying them 'cos they think they are easy to OC. They end up doing a crap job of it and then post a lot of complaints about how they don't work right. There is an old saying in the computer world, GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). Take what you read with a grain of salt...

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i thought i had something at

x4

x10

and 5/6 memory

and after 5 minutes the 0 core failed again this time with smal fft... core 1 always goes strong... do you think its the cpu? also i am running one 1 gig stick or memroy.. does it make a difference if i have 2 sticks of 1 gig?..

im at a loss... any other suggesions.?

Thanks

Chris

What makes you say that? I have had 3 dual cores and have not had any issues with RAM. I think this is a fallacy. There's a lot of bad info going 'round about the optys because noobs are buying them 'cos they think they are easy to OC. They end up doing a crap job of it and then post a lot of complaints about how they don't work right. There is an old saying in the computer world, GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). Take what you read with a grain of salt...

My experience while small is similar to many...memory is a real issue..with my venice extensive memory tinkering was not necessary to get same type of stablity

On the dual core opterons..small changes in the memory can have big effects

Now maybe you misinterpret my feelings...you need to tweak the memory alot more often to get both cores to overclock to the same degree

Did you see as much memory tinkering need with the single core chips

If you look around XS and other forums..there are lot posts needing help to get the extra tweak

I have had to go back on what seems a stable overclock and retweak to get it to run dual Prime95....happened with both my DC Opterons

Ran both 15hrs stable on dual prime small fft/large fft..when I reran a couple days later same settings I had it crap out till I retweaked the ram more

I did nothing to the system..no new software no voltage changes, no bios changes etc

There are some who have had no issues but I think people need to know they may need to loosen or alter settings to get the DC opterons to work well

this is not to say the DC chips is bad but to realize there are 2 cores to work with

Dude, just up the voltage.

And use a 1/2 divider, the is absolutely NO reason not to, why bother trying to use a 5/6 when you continue to have problems? Take the memory completely out of the equation.

If you can't get it stable at higher voltage without getting extreme temps then back off, not all processors are good overclockers, they can't be since they weren't designed to be. Gotta use what you have.

Ok, just installed my Opty 175... installed the AMD new driver and the Hotfix from Microsoft with the registry fix as well.

Tried to overclock, and to my suprise this 175 was really bad at stock voltage... really really really bad :(

Tried increasing the voltage to 1.4v at first and it still wouldn't go as expected. I am on watercooling so I went ahead and tried really high voltage, so with 1.58v I was able to reach 2.75 ghz... I think I can reach higher but I doubt it will be much. Right now I am testing with Prime95, two instances each on each core, already OCCT gave me thumbs up.

Its a shame, my 3700+ SD was already running 2.99 ghz 24/7, but doing the FEAR performance test I got a lot better numbes with this Opteron 175 at 2.75 ghz than with the San Diego 3700+ at 2.99 ghz... so perhaps if I can reach 2.8 ghz the change will be a huge success.

Btw, temperature during OCCT at 1.58 volts was like this graphs says, is everything ok or is that voltage too much??? Its just 1° C higher than with the San Diego at 2.99 ghz 1.58v:

2006022805h43cpugraphopteron17.gif

Dual Prime95 at In-place large FFTs test is really making the cpu reach temperatures I haven't seen with watercooling: 45° C. Also the PWM temperature is a lot higher at 51° C. Any input on these temperatures, are they ok or not, is highly apreciated.

Where did you get the hotfix from for windows, Could you link me to it please mate ;)

LOL, but what about my temperatures?????? :rolleyes:

I increased the vcore to 1.61v because the system froze during dual prime95 tests at 2.8 ghz... awww :( I doubt I will be able to run like this 24/7, much less during this next summer because right now it is at 45° C and the room temperature is 20.2° C.

After installing the AMD driver, which I still don't know if it was necesary in the first place, the HotFix sometimes is needed to address some "bugs" with aplications and games; for example BF2 stutters and crashes to desktop with out this hotfix. After the hot fix there is also a registry modification that might be needed.

I got the hotfix from another place, but after a GOOGLE search I found this other one: http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

This link points to the information about the Hotfix, I wonder why they didn't put a download link there... and also to the registry modification needed (sometimes) after installing the hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=896256

All this is ONLY needed if you experience problems with some aplications or games. BF2 seems to be the most common one. If you don't see any problems then there is no point installing all this.

Good luck

/Edit:

The registry modification is to disable the hotfix for mobile or battery operated systems, since the hotfix will increase performance or in other words reduce energy savings. The registry mod is to disable the hotfix, thats why there is a small note saying the value could be left as 1, opposite to 0 which disables the hotfix.