Sign in to follow this  
racinjimy

unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

Just to add something,

Opteron 165 CCBWE 0534SPMW : 2.63ghz
292x9 appears to be my max (without going over 50*C full load 2xPrime LargeFFT)
Idles at 29*C with 1.475v in BIOS (reported as 1.42v-1.44v in CPU-Z)

I ordered it from NewEgg last week, for about 30mins it was priced at $320.

Actually it goes like:
- Ordered from ZZF for $350, at the time NE was $475
- 15mins later someone tells me NE just lowered to $320 so I cancel ZZF and get it at NE
- 15mins after that NE is up to like $360

[quote name='AndrewZorn']Just to add something,

Opteron 165 CCBWE 0534SPMW : 2.63ghz
292x9 appears to be my max (without going over 50*C full load 2xPrime LargeFFT)
Idles at 29*C with 1.475v in BIOS (reported as 1.42v-1.44v in CPU-Z)

I ordered it from NewEgg last week, for about 30mins it was priced at $320.

Actually it goes like:
- Ordered from ZZF for $350, at the time NE was $475
- 15mins later someone tells me NE just lowered to $320 so I cancel ZZF and get it at NE
- 15mins after that NE is up to like $360[/quote]

It wants to take it's lid off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, here is what I have with my Opteron165. Hitting 2.5 pretty easy. The problem is my second core does not advance past the 1st prime95 or SP2004 test. Here is the image and some info.

[url="http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/403/opty0lu.png"]Screenshot[/url]

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong. The LDT/FSB ratio is at 3x.

Thanks

i can get one core to 2.7ish, but not the other. it is because the IHS is a piece of junk.

and i wont be removing mine... even though its only $300, ill wait until it is sub-$150 to unlid it.

i wish AMD would just spend the extra time it takes to make a seperate IHS that works better with X2/opteron.

or just spend an extra dollar per CPU to put polished on both sides copper IHSs... id pay $10 or more for that if they wanted to mark it up, too

[quote name='rvr2k3']OK, here is what I have with my Opteron165. Hitting 2.5 pretty easy. The problem is my second core does not advance past the 1st prime95 or SP2004 test. Here is the image and some info.

[url="http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/403/opty0lu.png"]Screenshot[/url]

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong. The LDT/FSB ratio is at 3x.

Thanks[/quote]

What are your memory timings/freq? I was passing smallFFT in prime95 but was failing blend. I narrowed it down to my memory settings. See if you can pass smallFFT for a while, if it passes, see if your memory passes memtest.

[quote name='kei']What are your memory timings/freq? I was passing smallFFT in prime95 but was failing blend. I narrowed it down to my memory settings. See if you can pass smallFFT for a while, if it passes, see if your memory passes memtest.[/quote]

Passed smallFFT for 3 hours. Running memtest right now, while I am at work. Here are my memory settings.

In Genie Bios
auto
16 16
auto
disable
1.425v
above VID 110%
1.20v
1.50v
2.7V

DRAM Config
enable
2 (this is very tight...might need to be 3 for you)
2 (ditto)
1 (again, very tight...maybe 2)
2 (ditto for tight...maybe 3)
auto
enabled
auto
Level 8
normal
Level 2
8ns
normal
6ns
disable
disable

Here are some updates. Sorry I still have not posted my screenies. Still workin'!

I am working on 2 Optys. Both 165s and each a different stepping.

This is just a quick update. I will add links to my posts (The evidence) which I'll put on the original 'unofficial' opty thread.

[color="Red"]1. CCBWE 0541RPMW[/color] OEM
My max stable ended up being 989x9=[b]2600,[/b] RAM 236/472 23368, 1.55vCore, 3.1vDimm, default vHTT, 1.7vChipset. 1.45vCore was enough for 2xsuperPi, memtest and OCCT, but not 2x Prime95.

[i]PS - @2600 and slower RAM the 165 smokes my [email protected] in benchies and in FEAR (the only game I have installed)[/i]

For crap and giggles I tried 1.65 vCore and 301x9=2710 and everything passed up to just shy of 5 hours of two instances of prime. So if I can get over my voltage fear [b]I can probably get 2700 to 2750 stable around 1.65 vCore[/b].

Happy with this chip, but didn't have time to fully explore and get my memory where I want it. My Venice does 240 @ 22268...

[color="Red"]2. CCBWE 0534SPMW[/color] Retail
This is proving to be a PIMA. I tried just swapping CPUs to save time (same chip right?) and not doing a clean install.

Lesson - Don't cut corners!

I assumed week34 would be better than week41 according to discussions (My personal comments on this are OT so I'll omit)

basically tried the same settings as previouse. Kept having trouble with the RAM. I'd be stable with CPU with RAM backed off on the lowest divider, then couldn't get stable with convergance. Then when even the default settings after a CMOS clear could not prove to be stable, I know it was Back to the Drawing Board!

So after some HDD issues with formatting (decided to really format, not quick) I reinstalled everything from scratch and am still working on it.

I know this has been asked and answered before but I just can't find it. Lots on Prime95 and superPi, but not OCCT...

Do I run one instance on both cores for the "TEST"?

Do I run one instance on core1 and test, then core2 and test seperately?

OR

Do I somehow run 2 instances of OCCT simultaneously each affinity for a differnt core like with P95 and SuperPi?

if option three how do I do this?

Thanks!

Just run it normally. OCCT takes care of using both cores. You do NOT want to test each core separately. This generates less heat and is useless to you since you can't overclock them separately anyways.

If you're still confused, don't use OCCT, just run two instances of Prime95 and be done with it. It really doesn't matter.