unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like mine will be just an average OC'er. Prime failed at 2.43 ghz @ 1.35v.

I am stress testing again at the same clock rate with 1.375v, and seems to be doing okay.

If these Opterons are like other AMD CPU's when overclocking, I see myself getting around 2.5ghz or perhaps a little better.

Seems that when you have to start upping the volts, your only good for maybe 150mhz or so.

Edit: hold the phone, stress testing 9x280 (2.52ghz) @ 1.375v.

If this keeps up, I may be able to get 2.6ghz at 1.4v.

I may not have the best CPU out there, but I am happy.

Like Martin, I got the 170 CCBWE 0546XPMW from Monarch that I ordered on Friday 12/23. So far 2808 @ 1.425v x 110% going for almost an hour now. Failed at same speed @ 1.375v @ 113%. More to come.

Like Martin, I got the 170 CCBWE 0546XPMW from Monarch that I ordered on Friday 12/23. So far 2808 @ 1.425v x 110% going for almost an hour now. Failed at same speed @ 1.375v @ 113%. More to come.

What mobo are you using?

What are your settings for the memory, htt, multi, etc that got you over 2800? Was it game stable?

just curious... plz keep me informed as to your progress if you wouldnt mind! I'm getting pretty psyched about getting that same chip later this week!

Thanks ahead of time!

What mobo are you using?

What are your settings for the memory, htt, multi, etc that got you over 2800? Was it game stable?

just curious... plz keep me informed as to your progress if you wouldnt mind! I'm getting pretty psyched about getting that same chip later this week!

Thanks ahead of time!

check his sig alot of the info is right there

I only had a day to play while before I went out of town but I was able to pretty much confirm 2.8 @ 1.425v x 110% (1.568v). Now I'm in Florida (yeah, poor me) so I won't be doing any more tweaking until next week.

Word for word that is my new christmas toy as well. Failed 1.375 but flawless at 1.425 x 110%.

-Shawn

I wrote up this list of ALL things to do when installing these Opteron dual core cpus because I think people will find it usefull. I didn't know I had to do all these things my first go at it. I overclocked and tested prime stable 12 hours and then wondered why I got some weird problems later. This time I've done it by the book as I recommend everyone here do for a stable and optimized system.

Opteron dual core cpus:

1. Flash new dual core bios- 6/23 at DFI web page (official BIOS)

2. Perform new WindowsXP installation.

***Immediately create disk image (optional)***

3. Install newest DFI mobo drivers, nvidia chipset drivers

4. Install video card drivers (use the newest ATI or Nvidia driver version that have dual core support. (Nvidia's have shown as high as 15% performance increase with dual core cpus, ATI around 5-10%)

5. Install MS Hotfix for dual core see this thread and do all registry changes listed .... http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modl...rticle&sid=3964

6. Install AMD Opteron C&Q Power Now! driver 1.2.2.2 (even though you probably won't activate Cool/quiet especially when OC'ing, you still must install this driver!)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty...ties/amdcpu.exe

Also, there is a tweak to the boot.ini file that may be beneficial it is outlined below. I don't know exactly what it's purpose is. *Use at your own discretion!* It's mentioned in a thread here... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...+opteron+hotfix

here is the tweak for boot.ini that was mentioned...

"4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini looks like this"

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOW S

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Last of all, Imediately before doing anything else make a second disk image for backup.

I know it's a lot of stuff but it needs to be done.

Hope this is useful !

Word for word that is my new christmas toy as well. Failed 1.375 but flawless at 1.425 x 110%.

-Shawn

what about 1.4*1.10%

Are you guys not worried about the vcore on the chips..I am guessing you are pushing a bios reading of 1.54v-1.55