Sign in to follow this  
otherjohn

Problems OC [Heating?]

Hi all, I have tried to OC my rig now with a few different attemps (one example below)

[B]Genie BIOS Settings:[/B]

FSB Bus Frequency - 240

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio - X4.0

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - X11.0

PCI eXpress Frequency - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value - Startup

CPU VID Control - 1.400v

CPU VID Special Control - 110%

LDT Voltage Control - 1.30v 

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.60v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.80v

Each time I try, I get a failure in prime95, sometimes at 1 minute in.

Then I tried some of the Guides to find my CPU Max and think it maxed at 235 BUT the temp was around 56-60is CPU during Prime95 test and seemed to be too hot.

The temps seem to kill all the OC attemps, any suggestion why?

Cooling: ThermalRight SI-120 Heatsink w/Thermaltake A2018 fan.

Plus my case has 2 120 fans that pull air accross the CPU and one 80 to circulate the board.

Perhaps some sort of default setting is incorrect. Plus I have heard you need a 24pin psu as 20pin psu eliminate the use of 5V jumper for >3.2-4v vdimm on the DFI NF4 boards. BUT I havent done that.

john

how much Thermal interface material did you use when you installed the cooler? you only need a very small BB size drop on the IHS, then mash the heatsink on it to spread it out. I used to use to much and it raised my temps by 5-10C depending, so this could definately be your problem...

Put your finger on cooler. Is it hot. Maybe temp sensors are wrong!

And some timse Thermaltake base is a bit concave so it doesn´t sit on CPU well. It touches CPU only on the edges and not in the middle where it should!

@otherjohn in block #3 said:

Plus I have heard you need a 24pin psu as 20pin psu eliminate the use of 5V jumper for >3.2-4v vdimm on the DFI NF4 boards. BUT I havent done that.

You do need 24 pin PSU to board connector. You must have an old model PSU. What about the PC P&C SLI Turbo, that should have 24 pin connector.

Oh just to mention I had one 3000+ Venice YBBLE and on DFI NF4 LP Ultra-D bios was reading insane temps -> ~45°C idle and 60-65°C load on def speed and voltage, but the freezer64 was barely warm! maybe 30-35°C

Hi all, I have tried to OC my rig now with a few different attemps (one example below)

Each time I try, I get a failure in prime95, sometimes at 1 minute in.

Then I tried some of the Guides to find my CPU Max and think it maxed at 235 BUT the temp was around 56-60is CPU during Prime95 test and seemed to be too hot.

The temps seem to kill all the OC attemps, any suggestion why?

It might not be temps at all, although they sure won't be helping! My X2 4200 won't do 2640 at that voltage (1.504v MBM) no matter how cool. It will do 2585MHz though.

I think you need more voltage, which means higher temps, which means better cooling - like a Typhoon or a SI-120 or some serious work on your airflow in your case.

So right now you options are to lower your clock, or work on your cooling.