PSU Brands to Avoid!

davidhammock200

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any particular reason for Aerocool to be on this list? I was considering their modular 550W Turbine one to go into the Stacker 830 I just got. Now I'm having second thoughts. Meets power requirements, looks good, nice cables. I'd buy one before I ever bought an Antec, that much I know for sure lol. I welcome all comments.

http://www.aerocool.us/p-psu/Turbine%20Power/turbine-psu.htm

Yes I have seen that list before and all should be avoided I hate burned computers and video cards. Personaly I would avoid certan Antec ones too but they are cheap.

now now. you cant say that . i find the truepower line very very good

you really cant beat its price for what it does, about 80$ for its 550 sli version.

my last 3 systems used them. i even chucked away the neopower that came in my p150 for a tpii

and xenos,, for someone who would spend 200$+ on a case.. ... .. no comment baka.

Everywhere I go I see people having problems with Antec power supplies. Heck, I just read about someone having theirs go up in flames! Not sure if it's always been this way or if I only noticed recently when I had two go bad on me in a row (both TruePower). The quality of the Antec P180 case I recently bought might also have something to do with it I suppose. Regardless, considering these supplies are what they put in their sub-$100 cases (or at least use the same parts very likely), you can't help but be suspect as to the quality your getting. FWIW, here in Canada I don't find Antec supplies to be any cheaper than the majority of other brands. The only other supplies I've owned are Enermax, and I haven't had any problems with them at all. One has been running for fours years now in fact.

Regarding the comment about my case, I'm not really sure what they were trying to imply. The Stacker 830 came today and I moved all the parts over, including putting an Evercool VC-RE on my motherboard, and a Zalman VF-700 on the graphics card. Not only is everything far far cooler now, it's also nearly silent save for the hard drives. It's actually quieter now than when I was using the Antec P180. I'm even hoping I might be able to squeeze a few more MHz out of my CPU perhaps with how cool everything runs now. Hard to put a price on that when your an enthusiast lol. Money well spent IMHO.

• 1 month later...

I got an ULTRA X-Connect X2 550W power supply. Surely this is not a bad PSU right? I mean this PSU has received good reviews and no bad ones so far. And I've overclock a bit with this. So far no issues.

Is the one listed pointing to the older generation Ultra models? And may I know the reason it being bad? They do have a good forum on their website.

Warmest regards.

I got an ULTRA X-Connect X2 550W power supply. Surely this is not a bad PSU right? I mean this PSU has received good reviews and no bad ones so far. And I've overclock a bit with this. So far no issues.

I used it for a few weeks. The biggest issue I had with mine was that the 120mm fan revs up a lot when the power supply is under load, like when playing a video game, despite a very cool running and well ventilated system. It is not a quiet fan at all when running at full speed like this. I replaced the Ultra X2 with an AeroCool ZeroDBA 620W power supply this morning and am a lot happier now. The warranty length kind of sucks compared to other manufacturers, but this is definitely a nice looking, well built, and above all extremely quiet, power supply. Since it's so new, I had to purchase it based on specs primarily. I know AeroCool doesn't come highly recommended by most folks, and honestly I didn't really have high expectations either, but it's definitely exceeded them. It helped that I bought an AeroCool fan recently and was impressed by it as well.

Things, like the high-noise-level-while-under-load problem I had with the Ultra X2, is usually one of those things most reviewers tend to overlook since they generally don't spend enough time with a product. With power supplie specifically, I rarely see any reviewer actually put the supply in a working PC and use it. Also, the products they review are often provided by the manufacturer for free which is a conflict of interest IMHO. It's why you never see a bad review. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, not if you want to keep getting free products to review. The fact that it's a pretty competitive field, indictaed by the overabundance of review sites out there, only makes this worse.

After recently getting burned a few times by so called "great" reviews from the most well known review sites, I've decided from now on to only trust the opinions of people who have actually paid good money for their computer components and use them long term on a daily basis. If a lot of people say something is good, like is the case with the Evercool VC-RE here at these forums for example, it's a good bet you won't go wrong buying one too.