Sign in to follow this  
DaLurker

PCIEx speed showing up as 8 lanes?

You need to create your own thread regarding your OWN problem. As well as reading the rules of the forum by creating your sig by placing your system specs in it. If you fail to do so, you will receive ZERO help.

And fyi, there's a bios option which will turn off the SLI bridge in Bios. 3rd option down from the main bios screen on the left side. (Pretty sure that's it)

I am plenty familiar with the rules. My issues are IDENTICAL to the thread originator.

I saw no need to make another thread.

The bios does not have option to turn off SLI...SLI is not my issue, it's the fact that the box and specs say that the board is equipped with 2 PCI-E x16 slots...but when putting in an x16 capable card, it's only able to run at x8, and according to the manual, the system will not run 16x until SLI is enabled....

I have supplied enough information to tackle the issue at hand.

Not that I know of. There is something like this but it's called a HT Lanes and allows me to set 16 Up 16 Down, 16 Up 8 Down, 8 Up 16 Down and 8 up and 8 Down. I already have that set to 16 up 16 down.

I'm thinking now many CPU-Z is flawed.

Also it can't be pipes since I my GPU is 16 pipes as well :)

HT lanes has nothing to do with GPU. It's the HT link "speed" for your CPU.

I've covered this issue before but I'll post it here again.

There are two different specs involved.

The physical slots are X16. This is simply a measure of the size of the slot.

The bandwidth of each slot is X8 lanes.

Even though a card may have a physical X16 slot connector, there are no current video cards that can saturate X8 lanes of bandwidth.

You will get the full performance from your video card at X8 lanes of bandwidth.

I've covered this issue before but I'll post it here again.

There are two different specs involved.

The physical slots are X16. This is simply a measure of the size of the slot.

The bandwidth of each slot is X8 lanes.

Even though a card may have a physical X16 slot connector, there are no current video cards that can saturate X8 lanes of bandwidth.

You will get the full performance from your video card at X8 lanes of bandwidth.

But when there is a card that can make use of the x16 bandwidth, this board will not be able to utilize that? I would have to purchase a new board?

Second thing then is if I run SLI, both cards will be a x8 right? WHich is what it's supoosed to be?

It's not really 'supposed' to be like that. The truth is there is no such thing as supposed to be.

Nvidia designed their chipset to have 20 lanes only. Therefore there is obviously no way you can get 2 16 lane slots out of this chipset. I believe they are making/have made a new chipset with has enough lanes to be able to support 2 16 lane slots however. Since no video card even in SLI mode needs 16x, it doesn't make any diff at the moment.

@DaLurker

As was stated above...

Even the much vaunted 7800 doesn't come close to saturating the X8 lanes of bandwidth.

You must be aware that the current trend it to perform more and more processing on the GPU to free up the cycles on the processor. This will keep the card slot bandwidth down to a manageable level for at least a year if not more since the GPU manufacturers and designers are releasing no more than one new GPU core a year.