how do i cool my PWMIC?

tatts

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using water cooling and have almost 0 airflow and my PWM goes to 100+ I monuted a 120mm fan on the side and its down to 85c

youre lucky your mobo is still working with them temps, anything over 65c and i wouldnt use it

Ok, here is the rough out of how I did this. Please take note that after getting one of these to line up for a 60mm fan, I noticed that two holes of an 80mm fan lined up perfectly.

First you will need two bolts, either type I have pictured here would work. They need to be about 2.5 inches long and if metric I think are 4-40 .50 pitch and if American 6x32's are what are standard. They can be headless and you can bolt both ends or you can use ones with heads already on. I used the ones with heads. Both have advantages and disadvantages. My total cost for this solution was about 3 bucks plus the ACRyan blackfire fan.

bolt-type1.jpg

bolt-type2.jpg

So just place the bolts in the bottom two holes on the inside (leaving the outside holes for fan grill placement if desired). Here is my fan with one bolt and nut setup installed. (I later discovered that two holes will line up on an 80mm fan)

bolt-install1.jpg

bolt-install2.jpg

Don't tighten that nut to the fan so tight that you can't turn the screw from the head. After placing two screws in the fan and hand tightening the washer and bolt like the images above, remove the two motherboard mounting screws that are just below the PWMIC heatsink area. Here is a picture of the one on the left, the stand off immediately to the right of it is the other one that matches perfectly for an 80mm fan.

leftMB%20standoff-ready.jpg

Here you see the bolt on the right in place and I think it kind of completes the thought process. Just lather rinse repeat for the left side. Quick tip, tighten the screw to the motherboard standoff nice and tight first. Then go back and tighten the washer to the fan last. Not too bad for a moment of brief inspiration on what has otherwise turned out to be a really dismal day for our family.

installed-close%20copy.jpg

installed-pan.jpg

Thanks guys, I hope it's useful to you.

Prostock, I didn't need to remove my MB to do this. You may need to for one reason or another, but I doubt it's necessary for most systems.

BigBen, I have a 120 blowing over my SLI setup, very bottom left. This gave me the added benefit of getting lots of fresh air between the cards and straight to the chipset fan as well. Dropped those temps 5c. :)

Guest ninjastyle

You're OK, but it'd be better to cool it. Those PWMIC chips can go up to some VERY high temps, they are designed to handle the heat.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest scott

Where is the PWM IC located on nF4 Ultra-D:

Is it in the top right corner of the board, near the DRAM 4V select jumpers?

madian225 says he thinks so, in post 2 above, but nobody confirms that.

Or is it down toward the fan3 & 5V/12V power plug-in area above the chipset?

That seems to be where deguello put his extra fan, in post 15 above.

It will be appreciated if someone would please verify the PWMIC location. Thank you.