Sign in to follow this  
bmueller

A better uninstaller?

I am trying to get rid of all my old Microsoft Office components in favor of OpenOffice.org's software and Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5beta, but the Microsoft uninstallers keep having problems (in Control Panel: Add/Remove Programs). It has to do with some sort of XP Pro feature I was trying to install in Word, which got messed up a while back. The MS uninstaller crashes, and so I cannot remove the programs entirely. I had having extra disc space taken up by things like this.

Are there any freeware programs that can permanently delete applications/registry keys/all traces etc.?

As far as registry cleaning and all that I used to use ACE utilities a lot on pcs that came to the shop.

D'load it anywhere and you ahve 15 or 30 days and then its disabled.

*(till the next format and install....)

I have always liked it as a quick fix registry cleaner and have not had it cause any OS problems on the 50+ or so machines I fed it to over time.

ace utilities

on any search should find you a link.

As to the crashing of the uninstall prog, you might try a reinstall and then a uninstall after that. Dunno, word / excell/office is *(seems) flakey like that and I have had similar issues crop up.

I have an Office 97 disk and it dosent talk to MS and validate itself. ............

Try AddRemove i think its called, also a free trial thing, but still has a bunch of uses, i had a problem uninstalling a few things from add/remove and this got rid of everything for me

I've been using CCleaner for uninstalling--as well as cleaning the history, cache, etc--and then following up with a registry cleaner to get everything else out.

I don't know if it's the best method, but hey, works for me.

i found Add/Remove... that doesn't help either... all these Add/Remove clones do is run the uninstall program provided by the vendor of the program you try to remove... effectively the same thing as control panel

Do a clean install of the OS and your rig will thank you for it.

MS products are just too insidious to remove cleanly. There's always something that will come back later to bite you in the naughty bits when you least expect it.

Guest Tmod
Are there any freeware programs that can permanently delete applications/registry keys/all traces etc.?

I know you said free but can you afford $9.99 USD?

Try this

Tmod