Interview With Doug Dodson, President & Founder Of PC Power &

davidhammock200

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great read. And I was thinking modular was the way to go...

Too bad that PCP&C doesn't forecast any bling though their all business approach is what the PSU market needs

i say the same thing to guys who want stuff that LOOKS cool

guys want all these lights in their cases....but will it make your machine faster? More stable? Will it make you a better gamer? Will it attract the opposite (or same depending on what you like) .?

NO

guys that want flashy fans and UV colors and wrapped cables etc...but will it make your machine faster? More stable? Will it make you a better gamer? Will it attract the opposite (or same depending on what you like) .?

NO

guys that gotta have the modular psu's because LOOKS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING apparently...but will it make your machine faster? More stable? Will it make you a better gamer? Will it attract the opposite (or same depending on what you like) .?

NO

i dont even bother with side windows anymore unless they have fan holes in them. I don't give a crank what my machine looks like only that hte cabling inside is neatly put away for air to flow freely through, and that my machine is fast and stable and 19 UV lights won't be eating up my 12v rail on my psu lol

but thats just me

so I appreciate PCP&C for that reason

I don't think PSU calculators are all that bad if you just use them as a basis for comparison (and they are reputable). Just take the information that you get from them with a grain of salt. Atleast you'll have a rough estimate of what kind of power your components are drawing...

Problem with them is I've used a couple that say I should be using an 1100+ watt psu...and obviously I'm running fine with this one.

i say the same thing to guys who want stuff that LOOKS cool

so I appreciate PCP&C for that reason

What's wrong with a little bling, if it doesn't impact performance? Bling is obviously the last consideration when buying a PSU, but if PCP&C had a PSU that was UV LED that injected supercooled illuminated plasma into one's case, I'm sure they'd have a lot of takers.

Dodson's point in the interview was that bling DOES affect performance. No argument there. But comsumers don't go out and buy a Ferrari for performance reasons alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Interview. I am sure we all accept PC&C as the best. I do have to ask myself, "What happens if you spend $500 on a PC&C 1k watt PSU and less than a year later a new connector form factor comes out?".

A perfect example would be last year when AMD used a 24 pin standard and Intel used a 20 pin standard. Seems rather expensive to upgrade a PSU that is nowhere near worn to be replaced due to a new connector being needed. I am sure many of us have thrown out PSU's that work but do not meet the newest standard (NOTE: I am not talking about power requirements).

A perfect example would be last year when AMD used a 24 pin standard and Intel used a 20 pin standard.

actually you are confused

Intel moved to the 24-pin ATX before AMD did when Intel came out with their LGA775 platform and 915/925 chipset.

it SEEMS AMD did it first because no one bought that Intel crap lol...but I can tell ya honestly that Intel boards that used LGA775 sockets were about 4-6 months ahead of the NF4 that was the first to use a 24-pin ATX block

That was a great article, i definetly learned a few things. I have also already started thinking about upgrading my 3 month old NeoHE 550 to a PC P&C PSU. I did a bit of reading before i made the purchase but all i really looked at were the rails. Though they are sufficient, i never thought to think about the contact via the modular plugs. I just figured they would work like the rest and i liked the thought of less wires coming off the PSU. Thanks for opening my eyes.

• 4 weeks later...