Ocx 2gb (2x1) Just Ordered What Will My Overclocking Ability Be

exeemlite

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory - Retail

I have read all 155 reviews and it seems that many people have different opinions, I really just want to know if I am going to be crippling my 3800 x2 from any performance?

This is a ridiculous post. How should WE know what your OC ability will be on a product that is exclusive to you? :confused:

That's like me asking you how fast I can run. You may say that most people can run 10mph, so that is the average, but that doesn't mean I can run that fast. Maybe I'm a badass and can run 20mph, so your guess was way off. Or, I could be like 500 pounds and can't even run.

So, whether your memory is normal, fat, or speedy, we don't know. :shake:

Maybe I should rephrase my title...

Now on to the "This is a ridiculous post" I didn' t ask you any specifics, if you had read my question or statement ' I really just want to know if I am going to be crippling my 3800 x2 from any performance?"

The question was aimed at people with dfi lan party boards and this specific ram, but thank you for your infomative and educated response please write again. ;)

The 1 GB OCZ sticks that are marked as DDR400 usually don't do more than DDR440, if that.

However, as pointed out, you can keep memory low and don't limit your CPU overclock that way. Higher frequency RAM is mostly useless anyway.

could you please explain what you mean buy high freq. ram being mostly useless? I really want to get this build right and dont want to buy something and then see something I could have purchased for the same $ or less and have a better machine

thanks for the imput

I would say 250Mhz is a nice value to run the memory.

Anything over that is not going to be a super advantage.

Anyway, to understand why running the memory at high frequencies is not going to help, you need to know a bit about how the CPU/MEM works in a computer.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...76&postcount=13

key point = CPU determines the maximum data rate.

eg, If the CPU cannot send/retrieve 9600MB/s (300Mhz = PC4800MB/s, DC mode = 9600MB/s), there is no point using higher rated memory modules.

Your X2 core CPU should be capable of quite a bit. (I have not seen anyone compare x2 with 200Mhz and x2 with 250Mhz yet:().

Thank you for the replies, Sharp you have definately opened my eyes to much information but when it comes to memory controllers and such my brain kinda fizzles, I have read you post on memory and I will read it again. Thanks all for you replies.

:)