Sign in to follow this  
mrlithium

just bought DFI Infinity, aiming for 2.8ghz

Hi, I'm new to these forums. I made a signature, and you can read the config for my new box that I just ordered.

I'm going to be using the system for experiments with overclocking mostly, my question is, about the Rosewill 550-W power supply Link to newegg It has 18A + 18A on the 12 V rails, I wanted to know if that would equal out to 36A of a single rail system (i have a feeling its a more complicated calculation). I just want to make sure I have enough amps, since this PS wasn't on the list of recommended ones but I analyzed it carefully before buying.

On my current system, my power is lacking (22A on 12V) and I think it is limiting my overclocks even when I'm using dividers, because the system will boot windows all the way up to 2600+mhz but then BSOD's with a new error each time or just freezes. Its a kind of unpredictable experience.

With the new DDR 600 ram, the RAM should allow me to reach 300 FSB, and the

my venice has a 10 multiplier, so I could O/C anywhere up to 3000mhz depending on the quality of the Venice. I'd be thrilled if I could get it past 2800 mhz, is it common for a Venice 3200 to reach 2800mhz with just a Zalman cooling it ?

I'll most likely be posting back here tomorrow or the next day when my system arrives. BTW Zipzoomfly has really great deals and free shipping, I picked up the DFI Infinity, Venice 3200, and Patriot PC4800 for only $424! If anyones interesting in my old board/chip/ram send me a PM :)

If anyone has any tips before I even start building, I'd love to hear it. Thanks, btw, Im a big fan already of your forums :)

It depends completely on the stepping of the chip. Some 3000+ venices go to 2.7 GHz with a tiny voltage bump to 1.5v, and some require twice the voltage bump just to go to 2.6. As you can see from my sig, mine is the latter.

Well I think some misread my sig, so I edited it. The first Asus setup was my old one, and I ordered a DFI board to replace it. At first I bought the asus for stability but then found out how much fun overclocking is so I ditched it and went DFI. The reason I didnt get a Lanparty is because I didnt see any features on it that made it better for my needs. I just assumed the Infinity overclocks just as well and I didnt need SATA2 or SLI.

My DFI Infinity board came by Fedex today, and the Venice 3200+ also. The Venice is a 3200DAA4BP Week 0540 GPAW.

I'm gonna install the venice in my Asus first, test its abilities, then wait till my unsupported/uncertified 550-watt comes in the mail later today so I can try it with my DFI.

Also I never heard of SVC until now (googled it, turns out they rock) Im gonna order a Thermalright today.

Also I really have no money, I have tons of bills, and I only make $170 a week. Sorta why I got the baby DFI board and the cheap power supply.

There are cheap power supplies on that list that are good. That PSU has a low efficiency, can give you up to 35A on the 12V rails, IF you are not loading the 3.3V and 5V rails.

The reason I didnt get a Lanparty is because I didnt see any features on it that made it better for my needs. I just assumed the Infinity overclocks just as well and I didnt need SATA2 or SLI.
Return it for a DFI N4 Ultra-D LanParty if you are trying for 2.8GHz!

The Infinity should get you 2.4GHz & maybe a little more. :nod:

Well.. I have a DAGF (the same as an Infinity) and I can get it to hit 2750mhz with my Venice but I need to use a divider.. If your not looking for a high htt 1:1 then the Infinity is a decent mobo imo..

But I must say the Lanparty series are better clockers for sure and they have more memory options which helps with tweaking and running higher mem speeds..

Return it for a DFI N4 Ultra-D LanParty if you are trying for 2.8GHz!

The Infinity should get you 2.4GHz & maybe a little more. :nod:

I have 10 multipliers, so are you saying the Infinity can only reach 240 at 1:1 ? My asus does better than that. For sure I can push 2.6 through a 2.0ghz chip? The Asus and the 1.8ghz chip can do 2.5ghz. Is the limitation in the actual hardware or through the memory settings in the bios. Cause I dont _have_ to run at 1:1 memory I can always go down to 5:6 I think and run on 2-3-3-5, or even lower I dont care. I just really wanted to get to 2.8ghz. 2.7 would be acceptable too I guess. Well just waiting for tonight so I can try it out, if its not to my liking i'll just sell it on ebay and pick up the Lanparty :)

Thanks for the responses.

I have 10 multipliers, so are you saying the Infinity can only reach 240 at 1:1 ? My asus does better than that. For sure I can push 2.6 through a 2.0ghz chip? The Asus and the 1.8ghz chip can do 2.5ghz. Is the limitation in the actual hardware or through the memory settings in the bios. Cause I dont _have_ to run at 1:1 memory I can always go down to 5:6 I think and run on 2-3-3-5, or even lower I dont care. I just really wanted to get to 2.8ghz. 2.7 would be acceptable too I guess. Well just waiting for tonight so I can try it out, if its not to my liking i'll just sell it on ebay and pick up the Lanparty :)

Thanks for the responses.

Well.. I have a DAGF (the same as an Infinity) and I can get it to hit 2750mhz with my Venice but I need to use a divider.. If your not looking for a high htt 1:1 then the Infinity is a decent mobo imo..

But I must say the Lanparty series are better clockers for sure and they have more memory options which helps with tweaking and running higher mem speeds..

If THunDA says this BIOS can do it, then I'm sure it can! :nod:

There is NO doubt the Lanparty boards are better, but it shouldnt be a problem reaching those speeds as long as your cpu and other components are up to the task.... Im just waiting for my UltraD to get back to me so the DAGF is just a fill in to keep me busy..hehe

Look through the database.. I have quite a few entries in it with my DAGF..

mrlithium.. Please fix your sig.. you dont need all those spaces it makes it way to big.. You can also use the tags to make it smaller like I do..

Thanks