Tmod's CD & mobo reassurance

Hi all,

Just joined this excellent forum and this is the first post. Before I go any further, I just wanted to say a big thanks and respect to Tmod for the CD; I am sure there has been plenty of praise in the past but I tried out the CD and it is nothing short of excellent! Nice one, Tmod! :nod:

On a slightly more down-beat note, I discovered this forum after purchasing a nF3 250Gb after reading the rave reviews. I am waiting on a missing i/o shield before installing (well, I did get a great deal from a 'clearance corner') and thought I would browse the forums....but....

Half the posts are about dead ethernet, dead onboard sound or just dead mobos!! Yikes :confused:

I know that there is a much bigger chance of seeing complaint posts as opposed to praise posts but there does seem to be a lot. Am I just getting the wrong message, is there a lot of inexperienced people meddling with hardware/drivers on this mobo but not having the skills or knowledge.....or is there some real reliability issues ???

(I also appreciate that clearance corner is not the place to go if you are looking for reliability! :rolleyes: )

Hey, and welcome to the street.

Your right, being that it is a support forum you will not see the posts of the boards that are working flawlessly.. The two DFI boards I own now (and the two prior) have all exceeded my expectations. They are a pure enthusiasts board that through word of mouth have become mainstream and are even being used for firsttime builds. You also see a worldwide audience so if you can imagine the number of boards that are out there versus the number of posts with problems you can see that it is a relatively small percentage and no more than any other because DFI actually has there own exclusive Support forum where the rest are scattered around a multitude of websites.. Out of my 140+ posts on this website I have never posted a problem or complaint about a DFI product and have never had to RMA a DFI board. Your either an enthusiast or your not. If you enjoy overclocking and look forward to tuning your rig you can do no better than a DFI.

I won't beat up on you too bad but, Clearance Corner?

Giving the fact that it was missing the I/O sheild I would bet it is a return.. Maybe you got lucky and it was returned by either someone who had a bunch of mismatched parts or just couldn't figure out what they were doing.. If you end up having problems with your first DFI purchase remember where it came from..

I'll have to google your PSU, DFI boards like to have gobs of Amperage on the 12 volt rail. It has been my experience with my set ups that 24 amps on the +12 will keep your rig happy.

That TMOD CD is cool as all get out.. TMOD is pretty cool too..

I completely agree with CPDMF, these boards are amazing.

get rid of that Colorsit 470W PSU, they are cheap and nasty powersupplies

i have seen many times a cheap power supply fails, and takes other components out with it because of the lack of protection

I can get Colorsit PSU's around here for less than £20, i would suggest that you spend at least £50 for a half decent PSU

You can find 480w Hiper power supplies for around £45-£50. I used to have one, and they aren't bad

if you do have any problems with your board, that would be the first thing i would suspect.

as stated these are enthusiast/overclockers boards, and so require top notch components such as power supplies, and memory

Power Supply Guide

Thanks for the reassurance guys - I was very aware of the PSU being a possible issue and will probably swap it out eventually but will try the crappy PSU that I have for a bit - it may fail but it has 25A on the 12V rail and the cost of a Tagan is about the same as a new mobo or HD anyway (bet it goes off like a grenade and takes out the whole lot now that I have said that). There is no doubt that the mobo was a return but that may be because of a missing I/O shield - if not, I also hope it is down to something simple. Now, I also read that my Arctic Freezer 64 cooler may not be too compatible either.

I would never usualy pick anything from 'Clearance corner' but this was a gift at the price (unless I rig it up a find that it is a complete 'howler').

I am keeping the RAM though (unless there is a problem like its PC4000 brother on this mobo) because I have tested it out a lot on my current rig and I am well impressed.

Well, I appreciate the reassurance because I am writing this on a fully installed, fully working 250gb. Also, the knowledge that I picked up from researching this forum before installing was invaluable!!! ...you really do have no watch what goes where in those DIMM slots or like me, you get no boot, no video, nuffink! Got it sussed though ;)

Ooh, now to change that sig...

Just joined this excellent forum and this is the first post. Before I go any further, I just wanted to say a big thanks and respect to Tmod for the CD; I am sure there has been plenty of praise in the past but I tried out the CD and it is nothing short of excellent! Nice one, Tmod!

Glad to hear you liked it.

Also glad to hear the NF3 is humming along nicely!!

Tmod