Sign in to follow this  
placenta

Fixed my overheating BFG 7800GTX..

EvilCloudStrife, what card did you try this on?

do you have a 7800 card?

if so, i think your sig needs an update ;)

pennies....hmmm....

i suspect lapping those would take quite a while :nod:

not a bad idea tho

pennies! now THATS an idia for sure! yes.. about my sig.. only 2 things in that are still currect and i really do need to change it but im lazy.

yes, i have a evga 7800gt. I tryed it last night. Lucky for me, i used a thin credit card and i was able to slide it right under the foam pads and keep them in shape. after i found out it didnt work i put them right back on top and im good to go. i dont know why designed the heatsink this way. very very poor imo. i hope whoever trys the pennie trick will update us with before OC and after OC and also how it worked out.. and yes, i wouldnt use any pennies unless i went through a lap job first. and that would take about and hour a pennie.. good bye day

I have my Leadtek 7800gtx water cooled. I also have it overclocked at 518/1.51 (Core/Memory) for the person wondering and havent had any probs. I get a 33c idle and 49c load(hours of gaming).

I also removed the piece covering the back of the memory and put AS5 on it, when I put the Danger Den Heatsink and started tightening it down, all the memory models made contact after i removed that white pade, just had to tighten everythnig down again.. When my koolance system leaked and I sent out for RMA i put the stock cooler back onto the 7800gtx, and all the memory models still connected to the memory bar thing...

ive got a bfg 7800gt (heatsink revision model) which idled at 50C, removed the heatsink, cleaned off the crappy paste, on went the as5 and then idled 44C & the DD maze4 i installed today dropped it to 38C idle :D

I have read somewhere on the forums here about someone using pennies to fit the gap between the heatsink and the core on their processors after removing the IHS.. Perhaps a copper penny or two glued together could do the trick for you as well.

i would recomend trying to find some pure copper someplace instead of using pennies. pennies are not pure copper, but are an alloy of copper, and some other metals (i want to say like zinc) to make them durable enough to be used for currency.

alloys don't have the heat transfer properties of pure metals, so would not work as well as some pure copper. It would also be easier to lap, and size since it would be softer.

Hey! I just found somthing out last night that was most interesting. I am not sure of how many peps know this but apparently the fans on the 7800 cards never turn themselves fully on!?!? The lastest version of the riva tuner can change the fan speeds to whater ever you want. it did not help me idle much but it did knock 4 deg of my load temp from 60 to 56. or you can just plug your video card fan directly into a psu line with a adapter.