Sign in to follow this  
hlygrail

Memory errors -- ignore or RMA ?

I can't believe after all these posts (david included), and nobody pointed to the under powered psu.

Not that it's worth arguing now that the DFI board is on its way back, but by all accounts, a 430W PSU should have been fine with this board (DFI Infinity + A64 3500 + a low-end Geforce 6600LE + 1GB PC3200 memory). DFI recommends at least 400W, and I gave it that and a bit more. Also, the rails on the Seasonic are the tightest I've ever seen in a PSU (even better than the S12-500 in my existing rig). If a *good* 430W PSU is underpowered, than DFI needs to change their advertising in a big way.

Since you haven't read the stickies on the forum, I'll post this link for you...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...75&postcount=13

The problem isn't the DFI boards. It's the vastly overstated power ratings that are used by the vast majority of PSU manufacturers.

Not that it's worth arguing now that the DFI board is on its way back, but by all accounts, a 430W PSU should have been fine with this board (DFI Infinity + A64 3500 + a low-end Geforce 6600LE + 1GB PC3200 memory). DFI recommends at least 400W, and I gave it that and a bit more. Also, the rails on the Seasonic are the tightest I've ever seen in a PSU (even better than the S12-500 in my existing rig). If a *good* 430W PSU is underpowered, than DFI needs to change their advertising in a big way.

Since you haven't read the stickies on the forum, I'll post this link for you...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...75&postcount=13

The problem isn't the DFI boards. It's the vastly overstated power ratings that are used by the vast majority of PSU manufacturers.

I have read the sticky. Remember, this isn't the first DFI rig I've built. Mine (in my sig) is rock-solid and I couldn't be more happy. Further, I haven't found a more reliable PSU than the Seasonic S12 line, and neither has Tom's Hardware -- it was one of the only ones to survive their 6-month torture testing. If you're suggesting that the Seasonic S12-430 is overrated, that's anecdotal unless you can show otherwise. I've seen or read nothing to back that claim up, but have seen many reviews that show it's not (e.g. Tom's Hardware) and is, in fact, one of the more robust in its power supply claims.

Go look at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...43&page=1&pp=25 if you think the DFI boards (and not just the DFI) are blameless in this instance.

What does a thread regarding voltage regulation on the memory slots have to do with getting a PSU that meets the minimum recommendations of the manufacturer? NOTHING!

Ask the forum members that have replaced their Seasonic S12-430 to resolve stability issues if DFI is just yanking your chain?

What's so hard to understand about the statement: "get a PSU that meets the minimum recommendations."

I have read the sticky. Remember, this isn't the first DFI rig I've built. Mine (in my sig) is rock-solid and I couldn't be more happy. Further, I haven't found a more reliable PSU than the Seasonic S12 line, and neither has Tom's Hardware -- it was one of the only ones to survive their 6-month torture testing. If you're suggesting that the Seasonic S12-430 is overrated, that's anecdotal unless you can show otherwise. I've seen or read nothing to back that claim up, but have seen many reviews that show it's not (e.g. Tom's Hardware) and is, in fact, one of the more robust in its power supply claims.

Go look at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...43&page=1&pp=25 if you think the DFI boards (and not just the DFI) are blameless in this instance.