Sign in to follow this  
hlygrail

Memory errors -- ignore or RMA ?

Building a second DFI board (my sig is my box, this one will be for someone else):

DFI Infinity nF4 Ultra (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136163)

Corsair TWINX1024-3200PT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145492)

Seasonic S12-430, 430W PSU

Flashed to newest BIOS (8/11/05 - CK8UD811.zip).

Had some blue-screens while trying to install WinXP Pro+SP2. I'd planned on running memtest86+ anyway after XP, but this pushed me to reverse that. During memtest, I get errors in test #8:

Failing Address Good Bad

0001c417f20 - 452.4MB 00000000 00a20000

0001da35c00 - 474.3MB ffffffff fffdffff

00032395c00 - 803.3MB ffffffff ffdfffff

000224d7f20 - 548.4MB 00000000 00a20000

... etc.

I recall getting similar errors on my DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D until I went *to* Corsair TwinX (TCCD in my case) from some Mushkin value memory.

Did some research and found an interesting problem with the VTT circuit - bore you with the details here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...43&page=1&pp=25. Essentially, test 8 and 11 especially draw more current than the VTT can dish out on the DFI boards. Unsure if this also applies to my DFI Infinity, but I would assume it does.

Should I really be concerned about these errors in test 8 ?? Will upping the memory voltage help ??

I think those ae BH die memory. I would set the voltage to 3.0v and see if that helps. May also want to Bump up CPUv just a tad . as The cach can cause memory errors also(but not likely in test 8

You need to have special settings for corsair, search for corsair in the forums

Searching for "corsair" will be like finding a needle in a haystack. Is there a specific thread?

I tried bumping the memory voltage up to 2.8v with no improvement. Will try going to 3.0v tonight and also bump the CPU voltage as well.

Also posted on Corsair's support page.

Thanks for the help!

I think those ae BH die memory. I would set the voltage to 3.0v and see if that helps. May also want to Bump up CPUv just a tad . as The cach can cause memory errors also(but not likely in test 8

Went to 3.0v on the memory with a moderate (.1v) bump on CPU. Also tried hard-coding the 3-3-3-8 setting with everything else default (as suggested by the Corsair folks). Still no love...

So, looks like the 3rd time I'll be RMA'ing memory on a DFI board. What CAN I use that's in the <$175 category for a matched 1GB pair (2x512MB) ?? 2.5-2-2-n would be nice, but as you can see, 3-3-3-8 will be fine for what I'll be doing with this box. Just needs to be in the <$175 range, with $150 even better (these were $140).

Thanks!

Should I really be concerned about these errors in test 8 ?? Will upping the memory voltage help ??

Any errors in memtest means failure.

$125 AMIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227211

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Brand OCZ

Series Gold Series

Model OCZ4001024ELDCGE-K

Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

Tech Spec

Capacity 1GB (2 x 512MB)

Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Cas Latency 2

Timing 2-2-2-5

ECC No

Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered

Heat Spreader Yes

Warranty

Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime

those are Awsome memory I have them in Both My DFI boards :nod: . But they Love the voltage :shake: .. So be perpared. They are the new BH-6 Not UTT if i understant correctly(havent taken off the heat spreaders. The OCZ400ELDCGEC2-k are TCCD or TCC5 depending on the luck of the draw

Great price!!!!! Think BLINKER will have to buy some more HIMSELF ;)

I would try the OCZ4001024DCGEC2-K I think you can find them for around 145.. And the have a timming Of 2-3-3-6. I have a set of them and they are doing [email protected] spec timmings . and will Go to 290 with 2.5-4-3-7
270 at spec timings? you are running 1:1? Are you sure you have the right part number?

They are more a nice low latency kit, not a big overclocking set.

I don't know a lot about Corsair memory...but what are they rated for hlygrail? PC4400 at what timings? If its 2.5-3-3 then it might be TCCx or Hynix...if its 2.5-4-4 then I bet its Hynix and that is why you have issues.