Help With Overclocking My 2400+

[IVO]

I got an AMD Athlon 2400+ T-Bred with a Volcano 7+, (its not been overclocked or enyfing). My motherboard is a Epox 8RDA+ N-Force 2 chipset. I was wondering what is the ma i can clock it too concern with the FSB and Multiplyer.

P.S im a n00b, so if ive miss stated enyfing just post back

there is a difference between the processor being unlocked and your motherboard being able to "unlock" your processor. all the T-Bred Bs come with the L1 bridges "unlocked", but that alone doesn't allow you to freely adjust the multiplier. as long as you have a motherboard with an nforce2 chipset, you should be able to adjust your multiplier without having to do any other bridge connecting or cpu modifications. in the past the other motherboard chipsets from VIA and SIS did not allow you to adjust the multiplier (i'm not sure if this has changed with the KT600 chipset though). but you don't have to worry about that since your mobo uses the nforce2 chipset.

regarding your max oc, we can't really tell you that. if you have memory that can run at atleast DDR400(200Mhz fsb) specs, then you should have little to no problem getting your fsb to 200Mhz as long as you have an Epox 8RDA+ v2.0 board (and even if you have a rev1.x board and you find out that your chipset is the bottleneck, you will be able to increase your vdd [voltage to chipset] in the bios. this will help your chipset's ability to operate at higher stable fsb frequencies. if you do decide to increase your voltage to the mobo chipset, i'd suggest getting better cooling on your northbridge chipset first since your n/b will become hotter).

and for max cpu overclock, we can't tell ya that. that depends various variables. also, just because one person obtained a certain oc doesn't mean the next person will be able to do the same. each person will have to find the max stable oc themself. if you have the same stepping, production yr/week, nominal voltage, etc... then you will have a pretty good chance of getting simular results as someone else. but this could still vary greatly if one person is using water, pelt, or vaporcooling and the other person is using aircooling with a stock cooler so we really can't help you too much here. there is a FAQ page on this site that has been recently updated and will give you an idea of how to get your processor stable when overclocking. you might want to give that a look and post back if you still have questions.

thanks Trakfast11, thats heaps good info

as you said for what my memory is it is Hyundai ram, PC2700, (DDR 333), the motherboard is a 1.1 revision. um want any more details just re post

and to answer......

and for max cpu overclock, we can't tell ya that. that depends various variables. also, just because one person obtained a certain oc doesn't mean the next person will be able to do the same. each person will have to find the max stable oc themself

but....mine does easily

Trak..... save that post so it can be used later!!  as I am sure it can be used again....and again....and again,,,, :) ....Nice info....

lol, will do exeter. :)

was just browsing the forum before aheading out. about to go to visit some relatives in ohio. should be back monday morning. catcha later

Have fun TRAK....

and IVO.... while I am sure we come across as Smarta$$'s...

There really is no answer...Yes... my system reports my 2400+ as an 2700+

Will yours, who knows? do you have really good airflow in your case, or a mess of wires... is it a full tower or a micro ATX.... do you have 28 SCSI drives in a RAID array.. or just one? (Power consumption...)

do you have a name brand high wattage PSU or a generic low wattage...

and then... as Trak was saying EVERY proccessor is different and responds to the stresses of overclocking differently....

That is part of why I overclock...noone knows what I can achieve... until I achieve it..

You can use guides and FAQ's to get a basis on how to overclock... ie: settings in BIOS etc. etc.

but you just have to dig in and find out.. and for me...most importantly is Have Fun!

and IVO.... while I am sure we come across as Smarta$$'s...

who us never lol

and i had my xp2400+ clocked to 2700 speed also but i smoked the proc when i changed out fans on my heatsink and had the fan on low didnt relize this until it was too late oh well have fun and take your time ocing with lots of testing for stability Prime95 is good for that