New PC - Crash/Reboot Diagnosis.

Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for some time now, since deciding on a DFI mobo, and this is my first time posting.

I have recently assembled the PC below in my sig, (sorry i dont know the bios version atm, its coming!) and all seemed to be going well. No issues during assembly, (this is my first pc build) but now I am having a few problems with the PC crashing during gameplay. Yes, I am one of those trajic World of Warcraft players, this is my game of choice atm.

Now, the problem. Basically, at seemingly random points in time, the game client will crash, to desktop. So from this I would have thought software issue, maybe the drivers for the graphics card, or the game itself, only that it worked without fail on my previous pc.

Secondly, also at seemingly random points during gameplay, the PC will crash/reboot instantly. This is more difficult for me to explain. I am suspicious of the cooling, being my first case, but I dont know how to check the temperatures. And if the graphics card was overheating, could this cause the pc to reboot? I used the nvidia monitor to check the temps of the CPU and the system, they were something like 28 and 39 (will check this tonight). What is the 'system temp' referring to? Just the temp in the case?

Basically im looking for suggestions. What could be causing the PC to crash. The crash/reboot suggests to me that it may be hardware, is that a correct assumption?

Love to hear your thoughts. What tests can I do? I will have to get this memtest86 program...and prime. But im not really sure what they do, or what they will tell me. Will also have to test in other games, like battlefield.

I'm suspecting a RAM error - due to the compexity of these boards, that's the #1 issue followed closely by power supply. As long as your PSU is quality branded 480W minimum (26A+ @ +12V) and native 24-pin ATX, there shouldn't be a problem.

To test your RAM, run this program, following the instructions, to test all your RAM until it hits at least 600% coverage, preferably more. You'll need to do that when you're away from the computer, as testing all empty RAM will slow it down.

I'm suspecting a RAM error - due to the compexity of these boards, that's the #1 issue followed closely by power supply. As long as your PSU is quality branded 480W minimum (26A+ @ +12V) and native 24-pin ATX, there shouldn't be a problem.

To test your RAM, run this program, following the instructions, to test all your RAM until it hits at least 600% coverage, preferably more. You'll need to do that when you're away from the computer, as testing all empty RAM will slow it down.

PSU is fine, but that vaule RAM could be a problem. :nod:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, its a name brand PSU, thats why i spent a bit extra in that department, so i wouldnt have power problems.

As for the RAM, and testing it, is that windows based test as good as memtest86? I ran that and it passed the test twice. I am planning on running it overnight for a period of 8-12 hours.

I have also found out that the OS was set to automatically reboot on a Blue-Screen error, so i believe this is what was happening. I turned this setting off, and am waiting for the next blue-screen so i can get the error code, and hope someone knows where the problem lies!

If i do the memtests for a long period, can i rule out problems with the ram?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, its a name brand PSU, thats why i spent a bit extra in that department, so i wouldnt have power problems.

As for the RAM, and testing it, is that windows based test as good as memtest86? I ran that and it passed the test twice. I am planning on running it overnight for a period of 8-12 hours.

I have also found out that the OS was set to automatically reboot on a Blue-Screen error, so i believe this is what was happening. I turned this setting off, and am waiting for the next blue-screen so i can get the error code, and hope someone knows where the problem lies!

If i do the memtests for a long period, can i rule out problems with the ram?

MEMtest better but doesnt rule out memory, if you pass mem test, run prime 95 torture test it will show if you are stable. :)

MEMtest better but doesnt rule out memory, if you pass mem test, run prime 95 torture test it will show if you are stable. :)

Ill run MEMtest tonight...

As for Prime95, how long do i need to have this run for? And if it crashes, what does this tell me? Because Prime just puts the PC under load i thought...

prime95 has several torture tests. the blended test just brutalizes everything, cpu-ram-chipset-everything. the advantage of this is that if you stay stable in prime, you'll stay stable in just about anything. the disadvantage is that if it crashes, it's hard to pinpoint what caused the crash.

the crashes you describe sound like memory or psu issues. DO NOT, for one second, rule out a psu just because it's a "good" brand. even the best companies, antec included, send out a dud once in awhile. i know, i lost a pretty nice board when i had an antec due to power fluctuation. no disrespect to antec, i still use them, but it is possible. and my gut is screaming power problem.

try disconnecting anything that you can from the psu chain, i.e. extra hard drives, optical drives, even the floppy and see if that helps. if it does then you may be on to something. if not, no harm no foul, just plug them back in.

also, to check the ram, try pulling one out and run on just one stick for awhile. if you have no crashes, trade sticks. you may also want to try to run them in single channel instead of dual. just some thoughts, good luck.