Sign in to follow this  
Raphie

Doom 3 feels sloppy/choked

My system is now OC'ed @ 250 * 10 (4 * 250 = 1000 HTT) 1.475 Vcore and 2.8Mem 1:1 2.5-3-3-8 1T

This setup is Prime stable for 8+ hours

My problem is the following: Doom 3 feels choked/sloppy in busy scenes (seems when more audio/ide reading is involved framerates drop dramaticly. (1280 * 1024 High Detail) when doing timedemo demo1 it reads 62FPS at these settings but while playing it feels like 20 FPS sometimes. The weirdest thing is that in rooms where someting is about to happen, i can't run. (i mean i can press the shift, but go as fast/slow as without) once the room is cleared i can run.

i was running with the same setting on my P4P800 with prescott 3.0 OC'ed to 3.6. This gave me 58fps with the same settings in demo1, but never felt sloppy.

The X64 3800+ is told to be faster, but i haven't been able to experience that yet.

Any idea what's holding it d :confused: own?

Doesn't make sense though, since the demo (benchmark) is better than the previous system, but this problem wasn't there before. Were you using the same ram, same settings? Same video card? Are you using the current drivers for the video card? Is the video card overclocked? If so, maybe it's clocked too high. If not, maybe this will help. You said it passes Prime95, but what about benchmarks that stress the video (besides the demo thing), like 3dMark 05 and/or 03. Compare your results to those found in the OCDB (against simialr systems of course) and see if they are where they should be.

Wasn't the gamecard or mem, had thermal throtling enabled in de Forceware driver, though the treshold was 125c and my card only becomes 52c full load for some reason this setting kicked in. dissabled it and works like a charm.

XFX 6800/256 OC'ed to 432 Core /816 ram now gives me 67 FPS at timedemo1 1280 * 2024 High Detail, Vsync OFF, 32bit desktop, not bad for a non GT. :P

where is that thermal throttling setting in the forceware drivers. Do you need rivatuner to get to it?

Cheers,

Jonno

I have xfx 7800 gtx and it looks like it is ot enabled under properties was it on the page that has Core slowdown threshold 115c GPU core temperature 51c and then has a check box for Notify when GPU core exceeds threshold. Mine is not checked but I get bad fps for this card.

I've never seen the throttling setting in my cpl.

Just the temp, from c or f.

I wish I could disable core slowdown....

Does more harm then good here, also the auto detect has totally F'ed me once where it would not allow me to clock down(using rivatuner here, I had to disable the clock test, was trying to hurry though at the time you know)

Anyways the keyboard thing, I dn.

That sort of thing does happen though, less responsiveness when the frames drop.

Just a suggestion for the res though, 1280x960 ;), which is 640x2 and 480x2.

Or maybe you may like 1440x960, which is 720x2 and 480x2.

Which one used depends on the games textures, those resolutions are to high for my monitor to produce a decent refresh rate anyways but if you like running at that kind of res go for it ;).

Thermal throtling is only vissible if the heatsensor is supported in the forceware drivers.

My previous ASUS V9999/TD 128 wasn't my XFX 6800/256 is, first time iv'e seen them was in v80.87

I have an LCD with native 1280 *1024 support, game just doesn't look as good when scaled

I had similar problems in F.E.A.R. where the test would give me an ok fps, but ingame I would lag in large rooms etc. This was caused by swapping to the hard drive, peak was at 1,7Gb with the settings Iw as using...