Desperately need help to stabilise my Stock X2 4400

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice ram. Its spd timings are PC4800(DDR600) 2.5-4-4-8 / PC4400(DDR550) 2.5-3-3-7 (Dual channel) so keep that in mind when oc'n. Your temps with stock hsf look ok. Maybe a tad high, you probably didn't use as5 (Artic Silver 5). I would replace the hsf with another, there are tons of links and also in sigs. I know this chip well, as I have one. Anyone who says they can run a toldeo on 1.18 is on crack. The toldeo cores have 1/3 more transistors than the manchester, however, both are rated from 1.34 to 1.5 according to AMD tech briefs. Undervoltong a cpu can also cause damage. I would leave most of your dram settings on auto except enable cpc and the obvious. But all timing related I would leave alone for the time being. You are much better off with changing vcore to 1.375 with 110%. Be aware, some people have had good luck in oc'n the toledos, some have not. The second core generally fails at some point. I would also mod case to include a a side fan to blow over the board. These boards also throw some heat as they require a ton a power and where there is power there is heat. One last thing, make sure all 4 power connectors to the mobo are properly seated.

GL

Well my x2 4400 runs at 1.3v and stock cooler, and drops back to 1.1v when cool and quiet is enabled. Even both cores running at 100% load it does not go above 40 C. upping the Cpu core V will not improve stability at stock speed, it just shortens the cpu life.

My 7800gtx runs at 42 C idle and 57 C playing BF2. 42 C onto the chipset (chipset ambient intake temp) means the chipset runs 48 - 52 C

System temp is 30 -33 C with a third party temp sensor/ display, the smartguardian records 34 -41 C ???

1) V dimm ? RAm voltage and timingssss? (stability)

2) A large front case fan was a must have for me with these boards and GPU. (thermal management)

The "AMD dual core driver" that you guys are talking about, is that the one here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty...ties/amdcpu.exe

Because if so, this shouldn't be required for anything, ever. It's an ACPI driver that lets the OS monkey with the power requirements of the CPU, shut down a core maybe, etc.

Unless you're plugged into a battery or you have horrible heat problems, I can't imagine why you'd want ACPI even enabled on any non-laptop. I paid full price for this CPU and damnit, I want it working full time! :P

This driver would have nothing to do with Windows XP seeing 2 CPUs and shouldn't have anything to do with stability unless it just happens that when ACPI kicks in and slows your processor down it becomes stable at the slower speed.

If there is another driver y'all are talking about, please do correct me! :)

There isn't, thats the driver every1 is yackin about yet they don't know what they are talking about. As you have said, it is an os monkey that only works acpi with c n q enabled. It only addresses that and nothing more. The best thing is always an updated bios and latest drivers. The latest drivers have better dual core support. It was never an AMD issue nor an MS issue. MS doesn't care if you have twin xeon, twin mp's or twin 4400's (dual core). It has always been a vid card driver issue and arose from some gaming issues. MS did release a beta hotfix to address the issue but was geared towards enabling c n q. I am also aware of what c nq does, by throttling the voltage it also throttles the speed. These boards undervolt the cpu based on bios settings. Mine *should* be at about 1.54 but sits at 1.49 and also tested the other day by a friend with a digital multimeter. If i get 2 years out of this box it will be one more year then I will own it :) So, for me, Its kind of fun to push things a little. But if your are going to enable c nq then it's kind of useless to own a DFI. They are made for people as Angry says *want to overclock till their balls turn blue* and it's kind of fun to do just that!!

Hmmm.... that's interesting LanceDiamond and JiminyC. Although, despite what you claim, my install of Windows XP didn't recognize my X2 as being dual core until after I installed that driver.

Before the installation of that driver both Device Manager and Task Manager indicated a single processor. After I installed that driver and rebooted, both device manager and task manager showed two processors.

Reason for that driver causing XP to recognize X2 would be that it must kick the OS into re-recognizing the CPU and getting the MP (multi-processor) HAL in place. There is a Microsoft KB article someplace about how to do that manually, may involve device manager or something like that. But apparently installing the ACPI stuff kicks the OS too, good to know I guess.

99% chance you remove that ACPI driver - and XP will still recognize you have 2 processors... ;)

Yes nice ram, that's why i bought it. :)

I did use as5 so it could be my ambient. Also all 4 powers is affixed correctly on mobo.

What i did today was install SP2, AMD CPU Driver, Microsoft Hotfix and the registry fix.

Then i tested running dual prime using only 1 piece of ram. It's stable for 1 hour+. I followed up by inserting the other piece of ram(2x512). However once i did this, one instance of Prime will give an error in about a minute.

Now i'm running Memtest. Test #5 has passed over 25 times with no errors. Test #8 has passed 4 times and still ongoing.

My concern now is even at stock cpu clock, i couldn't get stability when running dual prime torture test(large ffts) :confused:

Is this normal?

The ram timings i have tried is default mobo settings, as suggested in the startup sticky in this forum and as suggested for my ram at this link.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57317

All of them does not work to give me stable dual prime torture test(large ffts)...

Nice ram. Its spd timings are PC4800(DDR600) 2.5-4-4-8 / PC4400(DDR550) 2.5-3-3-7 (Dual channel) so keep that in mind when oc'n. Your temps with stock hsf look ok. Maybe a tad high, you probably didn't use as5 (Artic Silver 5). I would replace the hsf with another, there are tons of links and also in sigs. I know this chip well, as I have one. Anyone who says they can run a toldeo on 1.18 is on crack. The toldeo cores have 1/3 more transistors than the manchester, however, both are rated from 1.34 to 1.5 according to AMD tech briefs. Undervoltong a cpu can also cause damage. I would leave most of your dram settings on auto except enable cpc and the obvious. But all timing related I would leave alone for the time being. You are much better off with changing vcore to 1.375 with 110%. Be aware, some people have had good luck in oc'n the toledos, some have not. The second core generally fails at some point. I would also mod case to include a a side fan to blow over the board. These boards also throw some heat as they require a ton a power and where there is power there is heat. One last thing, make sure all 4 power connectors to the mobo are properly seated.

GL

The ram timings i have tried is default mobo settings, as suggested in the startup sticky in this forum and as suggested for my Gskill ram at this link.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ead.php?t=57317

None work to give me dual Prime stability.

Have also tried setting Vdimm from 2.7 - 2.9 and no help.

I did tried placing a few fans to reduce temps but no help either...

Well my x2 4400 runs at 1.3v and stock cooler, and drops back to 1.1v when cool and quiet is enabled. Even both cores running at 100% load it does not go above 40 C. upping the Cpu core V will not improve stability at stock speed, it just shortens the cpu life.

My 7800gtx runs at 42 C idle and 57 C playing BF2. 42 C onto the chipset (chipset ambient intake temp) means the chipset runs 48 - 52 C

System temp is 30 -33 C with a third party temp sensor/ display, the smartguardian records 34 -41 C ???

1) V dimm ? RAm voltage and timingssss? (stability)

2) A large front case fan was a must have for me with these boards and GPU. (thermal management)