Desperately need help to stabilise my Stock X2 4400

I'm building new system for my brother. Here's the spec. CPU and RAM is run at STOCK.

X2 4400 Toledo

DFI LP UT SLI-DR

GSkill F1-4800DSU2-1GBFF (2 x 512mb)

eVGA 7800GTX

Hitachi 250gb x 2

Antec TrueControl 550

Lian-li V2100B

Basically here is what i have done.

1. Flash bios to 0623-3. Bios setting left at default.

2. Install Windows XP (SP1) with no problems.

3. Install 6.70 nforce drivers and 81.85 vga driver.

4. Install network drivers, etc.

5. Try running Super PI 1MB. The Super PI program hangs while running halfway.....??? Tried Prime but less than 10secs got error?? Ok checked vcore, its only 1.3v+ so reboot and changed to 1.5v

6. Ok now Super PI 1MB can finish running in 39secs.

7. Try Prime and ok it runs fine for 30 mins.

8. Then tried running 2 primes without setting affinity. Straight away one Prime got error.... Tried a few more times and sometime it even gives the ILLEGAL SUMOUT error.

9. Tried giving affinity to each Prime but got the same thing... If i run 1 Prime + 1 Super PI, strange thing is Prime will run ok but Super PI will hang.

The temps from everest while running 2 primes is,

Motherboard 55 °C

CPU 43-45 °C

North Bridge 55 °C

GPU 60 °C

HDT722525DLA380 38 °C

HDT722525DLA380 43 °C

10. Currently running 1 x Prime with no problems.

I have not even started to o/c and i got this... Could it be my temps? Or is there anything i should set in bios? Really appreciate advise from the experts because i'm a total newbie to AMD and DFI mobo. :confused:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Sp00nLude, yes i did install the nvidia IDE drivers.

I will try uninstalling them tomorrow as it's 3am over here. Been trying to stabilise this thing for the whole day...

Hmm just to clarify, is what you are refering the 'Nvidia IDE SW drivers' for RAID? Or do you mean the Nvidia PATA and SATA HDD controllers as well?

If it is the Nvidia IDE SW drivers only, after removing this, can i still use Nvidia RAID?

Did you install the nvidia IDE drivers? If u did then uninstall it, cuz it causes issues. Just install the smb bus driver, audio, lan, uncheck the ide driver.

Try that and see if your system stabilizes.

The northbridge on this board becomes terribly unstable above 50C. What kind of case do you have? Sounds like you need to have better airflow away from the northbridge.

I have virtually the same setup, i'm overclocking to 2.7GHZ and I don't ever see temps as high as yours.

I don't know much about gskill memory...although i've heard good things lately.

You may want to try uping your voltage on the memory a bit.

It's much more likely to be a memory issue than a cpu issue.

These cores require very little voltage to be stable at stock. In fact the 4400 can operate at 1.18 volts without problems from what I hear.

so....solutions.....

up voltage on your memory by one tick.....

increase airflow away from your northbridge.

The northbridge on this board becomes terribly unstable above 50C. What kind of case do you have? Sounds like you need to have better airflow away from the northbridge.

Are you referring to the NF4 Chip? It is stable far above that temp.

@qwerty69 - Did you install the dual core driver from AMD?

The northbridge on this board becomes terribly unstable above 50C.

Err, I don't think that is right either - I have a 4400 and I don't know that my NB temp has ever been anything but near 50c. Under load I've seen it up in the 50s and never (granted had this built since Friday night LOL) had a problem I attributed to that.

Your temps DO look a little warm to me given that you're running only 1.5v. I am running 1.5v, 2.7v on memory at 250 x 10 on a 4400 right now. It's been running dual prime95s for the last 12 hours and my temps shown in Everest are:

47c - motherboard

40c - CPU

49c - chipset

44c - GPU

40c - GPU ambient

Why is your GPU at 60c while running prime95? That is very strange... Do you have the hard drives phsyically near the MB and GPU? I have noticed if I leave the cover off my case it screws up the little wind-tunnel effect of dragging air past my Hitachi drives and they got HOT HOT HOT. So hot you can't even touch them. If I put the cover on and have my airflow right, then the drives stay only warm to the touch (yank the cover and touch them right away to check) and my other temps go up 1-2c due to the cover being on.

Edit: shoulda mentioned - my GPU only hits 60+ running 3dmarks or something that stresses it - but I do have the blower thingy in the P180 with an 80mm fan blowing on it. Prior to that, it ran 4-5c hotter idle and hit 69c running 3dmarks. In no case was it ever 60c idle.

You need the Nvidia sw drivers for raid on the nf4, you need to clarify in SIG that you have raid array. The temps depend on amb temp to know if there high the 6800gt runs hotter than a 7800gt so those temps are fine,I have a leadtech 6800gt tdh that I beleive has the best stock HS and it will run around 55c idle.

Most likely your problems are memory related do a search on the forum for your memory to find some help on good setup. Good Luck! :)

I'm building new system for my brother. Here's the spec. CPU and RAM is run at STOCK.

X2 4400 Toledo

DFI LP UT SLI-DR

GSkill F1-4800DSU2-1GBFF (2 x 512mb)

eVGA 7800GTX

He doesn't have a 6800, he has an eVGA 7800 GTX, same as I have, only his is like 15c hotter than mine... ;)

I do agree amb temp has an effect - you're not running your PC in a garrage with no AC in Central America are you? :D

Hi pmorcos, my case is a Lian-li V2100B.

Well i'm actually from Singapore and the ambient temp here is around 30c. I did up my vdimm to 2.9v but it's still the same.

I also tried blowing a 50cfm 120mm fan at the NB but for some reason, it increases the temp by 1c. On the other hand, motherboard temp decrease around 2c.

I will try a few different fans to bring down the temps. Thanks again. :)

I have virtually the same setup, i'm overclocking to 2.7GHZ and I don't ever see temps as high as yours.

I don't know much about gskill memory...although i've heard good things lately.

You may want to try uping your voltage on the memory a bit.

It's much more likely to be a memory issue than a cpu issue.

These cores require very little voltage to be stable at stock. In fact the 4400 can operate at 1.18 volts without problems from what I hear.

so....solutions.....

up voltage on your memory by one tick.....

increase airflow away from your northbridge.

No i did not install the dual core driver. Is this absolutely required? Can i do it on a Win XP SP1 or do i need SP2? Sorry i'm a newbie to this. :)

Are you referring to the NF4 Chip? It is stable far above that temp.

@qwerty69 - Did you install the dual core driver from AMD?

Hi LanceDiamond, i'm from Singapore and we have 30c ambient here thus the general higher temps. :)

Regarding the GPU temp, i could have messed up. Was too confused yesterday because of the prime errors... It should be around 55c instead. (this is still hot but it's normal over here in Singapore)

As for the hard disks, yes you are right, my case cover is off and i did observe the airflow for the hard disk area is not as good as it should be. But i don't think this should be a problem for now because HDD load temps is below 42c which is normal over here.

I hope it's because of the AMD dual core driver because i didn't know it was required. Will try it later today. :)

Err, I don't think that is right either - I have a 4400 and I don't know that my NB temp has ever been anything but near 50c. Under load I've seen it up in the 50s and never (granted had this built since Friday night LOL) had a problem I attributed to that.

Your temps DO look a little warm to me given that you're running only 1.5v. I am running 1.5v, 2.7v on memory at 250 x 10 on a 4400 right now. It's been running dual prime95s for the last 12 hours and my temps shown in Everest are:

47c - motherboard

40c - CPU

49c - chipset

44c - GPU

40c - GPU ambient

Why is your GPU at 60c while running prime95? That is very strange... Do you have the hard drives phsyically near the MB and GPU? I have noticed if I leave the cover off my case it screws up the little wind-tunnel effect of dragging air past my Hitachi drives and they got HOT HOT HOT. So hot you can't even touch them. If I put the cover on and have my airflow right, then the drives stay only warm to the touch (yank the cover and touch them right away to check) and my other temps go up 1-2c due to the cover being on.

Edit: shoulda mentioned - my GPU only hits 60+ running 3dmarks or something that stresses it - but I do have the blower thingy in the P180 with an 80mm fan blowing on it. Prior to that, it ran 4-5c hotter idle and hit 69c running 3dmarks. In no case was it ever 60c idle.

thanks lowboy for the clarification. I don't have raid now but i'm planning to do it after everything is stable. :)

You need the Nvidia sw drivers for raid on the nf4, you need to clarify in SIG that you have raid array. The temps depend on amb temp to know if there high the 6800gt runs hotter than a 7800gt so those temps are fine,I have a leadtech 6800gt tdh that I beleive has the best stock HS and it will run around 55c idle.

Most likely your problems are memory related do a search on the forum for your memory to find some help on good setup. Good Luck! :)