Memory Issues

Well Im new to the forum and heard you guys are good with advice so I thought i'd give you a try. I have my 1 GB of ram that is working properly at 2.8v and whenever I add the second GB into the slot closest to the processor (DIMM Slot 4) It will boot normally and load everything but then I will get during say a game a SMIRF error (windows blue screen of death). It only happends with this second GB of ram though :(...

Another thing that I think is mostly a cause of my HD is whenever I try loading a game it crashes. It doesnt really give me a reason for crashing it just does. It also gets stuck loading at the same % everytime it doesnt get into the game. Im pretty sure its the HD but im not sure. If you guys have any other advice as to what I should do, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Alot,

First the PSU could be a problem (aspire) look at recommened psu list. Also run memtest to check memory if passes run prime95 torture test for at least hour to 8 hrs to check if system is stable. Post back as it will fail one of the test. Good luck :O

well it failed the first test... I guess it is my power supply..DAMN! It passed the memtest fine but the prime test it failed the first one and then when i tried it again it failed the second one. If this sounds like a powersupply to you guys let me know what you guys think would be a goood powersupply for me. thanks alot

I prefer OCZ Powerstream 520w and 600w myself (if you have a little money to spend)

if not, the Enermax 600w SLI-ready psu is on sale at www.svc.com for $125

and if you really don't have any money to spend...go to newegg and get the Skyhawk 520w power supply...I have 3 of them and they are fantastic little buggers (but I still prefer the OCZ Powerstreams)

well it failed the first test... I guess it is my power supply..DAMN! It passed the memtest fine but the prime test it failed the first one and then when i tried it again it failed the second one. If this sounds like a powersupply to you guys let me know what you guys think would be a goood powersupply for me. thanks alot
PSU Guide: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Stick to the "A" list for proven results! :nod:

I'm a little hesitant to recommend the OCZ as I am seeing a lot of issues with these particular PSUs, I know first hand the Enermax are fantastic as I am running the 535w version on the "A" list, though I paid $110 for mine a while back. Thats a sick price from e-wiz, still listed for $115 at newegg.

EDIT: There are two very similar PSUs from Enermax, the one listed at e-wiz is a lesser quality with no PFC as shown HERE and the model I am running as shown HERE .

Well Im new to the forum and heard you guys are good with advice so I thought i'd give you a try. I have my 1 GB of ram that is working properly at 2.8v and whenever I add the second GB into the slot closest to the processor (DIMM Slot 4) It will boot normally and load everything but then I will get during say a game a SMIRF error (windows blue screen of death). It only happends with this second GB of ram though :(...

Another thing that I think is mostly a cause of my HD is whenever I try loading a game it crashes. It doesnt really give me a reason for crashing it just does. It also gets stuck loading at the same % everytime it doesnt get into the game. Im pretty sure its the HD but im not sure. If you guys have any other advice as to what I should do, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Alot,

Are you using a matched pair of RAM sticks or just two sticks you bought?

Are all four power connectors connected to the motherboard?

Did you load optimized defaults in the BIOS? And what BIOS are you using?

well i ran the tests with just 1 stick in my computer at first and it failed that

yes they are the same sticks of ram or at least they should be i ordered them at the same time but they have different heat sinks on them so i dunno 100% if they are. The S/N's match up so i think so but i dunno anywho i just turned my voltage down from 2.8 to 2.6 and the 1 stick of ram is working great so i might just stick with that. Other than than no i havent tried the optimized feature in the bios and im not sure what bios im running but ill post l8er when i rebot to see what it is.

Another thing when you put 2 sticks of ram in the computer does the power supply start pumping out 5.2 volts instead of just 2.6 or does it just stay at a constant. I know you shouldnt have to change anything in the bios but does the power supply have to put out another 2.6 volts of power. If so then that could be 1 reason why i can get 1 stick to work but not 2. I dunno let me know what you guys think

well as for the 4 power connectors i assume you mean the 20 pin :( that i have the 4 pin next to it. the 4 pin molex and the floppy drive power connector below the cpu then yes they are all plugged in.

Aspire dont make good power supplies.

A poor quality PSU can damage your hardware.

Should the PSU overload/get to hot, it may over volt or cause a short and damage everything.

Your memory, is it something cheap from newegg?

Probably not the same, if both sticks work on their own but not together.