Sign in to follow this  
Vapor Trail

Angry please help: Hot chipset temps

Guest edge130

Using my test stand for awhile to make sure everything works Ok before going back in case. So take that into consideration on temp readings.

Room temp 80 F

idle.......................................... 30 cpu.....39.......42 chipset

Prime 95 (after 8 minutes)............41 cpu......42......42 chipset

Today at idle with room temp at 72 F: 31 cpu; 39 pwmic; 40 chipset

If I had high temps after installing the Evercool, I would make sure it was sitting on the chipset properly, not cocked on one side.

I Thought my chipset temps may have been hindering my overclock (but now I'm not so sure!) however I couldn't afford water cooling and anyways if you have 2 gfx cards there aren't many options (yet) anyway! So I proceeded to modify an old P3 cpu heatsink and fan to fit over the chipset. I will point out that I only have 1 gfx card so I moved it to slot 2 and fiited my moded h/s & fan. It dropped the idle temps from 45-46 down to 40-41 and loaded temps from 50+ down to 46 max. I live in Queensland, Australia so ambient temps here at the moment (nearly summer) are about 23-30 deg C.

If this post is of any interest I can post some pics ;)

YUP! The evercool works great! What I did before installing was I bent the bracket which holds the pins just a little bit on both sides with a pair of nose pliers to match the holes on the main board and that was all! :D

Hey, if you can get that cooler to fit will it fit if you have a 7800gtx installed in the top slot??

(Angry, no worries you still my hero)

yes, 7800GTX, GT, X850XT, 6800GT, 6600GT SLI, etc