Re-burn In.........?

OK... if you have read any previous threads, you will know I am a huge fan of a very long burn in between FSB jumps (we are talking days, not hours.....)

If i drop my FSB and vCore back to stock settings.....

Do you think I would need to start over with my burn ins or just jump back up since the system would have been already stressed?

Any ideas on this??

I thought burn-in just tests computer's stability. I did not think it actually does any thing to improve the stability.

Can somebody explain how this works. I mean there are no physical changes in the processor if you run burn-in or not. Unless you fogot to put a heatsink on there :rolleyes:

If you look at a text book... correct.. it should not make any difference,,but this is the bizarre little world of overclocking

Here is a thread that talks about it..It is a long post, but worth the info.(as always nice work Trak!)

Trakfast's Burn in Thread

What several of us have found is that a good burn in allows us (OK.. at least me!!) to obtain higher overclocks with a lower vCore voltage... thereby reducing heat......

What several of us have found is that a good burn in allows us (OK.. at least me!!) to obtain higher overclocks with a lower vCore voltage...  thereby reducing heat......
Do you think I would need to start over with my burn ins or just jump back up since the system would have been already stressed?
i haven't been setting all settings to full on the first boot after going from stock settings since i've found that it doesn't always want to boot for me after doing so (i don't know why it happens. all i know is that i'm much more successful at booting if i up all voltage related settings and multiplier first -> reboot -> change fsb.)

and i don't know any official word on this either, but i just boot to a frequency just below my max stable (don't know if it helps any but it hasn't been hurting and thats all i care about :P ). and after a few hours i shutdown Windows and set my highest stable settings in the bios and reboot. i'm thinking you'd probably be able to go straight to max stable settings though, but i have not checked into this myself or heard anything about this. so probably do what feels comfortable.

and here is another quote from a person that let their processor burn-in and was able to reduce their vcore and maintain stability as well (actually this person has been able to get several PCs to operate more efficiently at oc'ed frequencies after burning in). this setup is pretty old, but still applies today.

"After this removing the metal cover and attaching the heatsink directly to the core, my system is now rock solid running [email protected] volts. SETI is now able to run for days on end without producing a segmentation fault. *UPDATE: After burning-in the K6-3 400 running the SETI@home client for several days, it is now running [email protected] volts stable with just the heatsink (no fan)." http://www.knowplace.org/k6-3.html

thx exeter :)

p.s: sorry i posted late. so what did you end up doing? and how was your processor's stability afterwards?

Edited by Trakfast11