New System Build - finalizing

evogre3n

Hey all, so Im just about done choosing the new parts of my upcoming system. Here is what Im shooting for...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD64 3700+ San Diego CPU

XP-120 w/ Panaflo High Speed 120mm

2 x 512mb OCZ Gold EL VX PC4000 memory

DFI Lanparty UT Nf4 SLI-DR

6800GT PCI-E (already own, will buy another one once price drops a bit more for SLI)

Zalman VF700 - AlCu VGA cooler

Antec P180

OCZ Powerstream 520W

1 x 200GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.8

2 x 36GB Western Digital Raptop 10,000RPM

BenQ DVD writer DW1640

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS OEM

Logitech X-530 Speaker System

MX518 Gaming Mouse

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats the build so far. Im planning to get the 3700+ opposed to the 3200+ because of the different core and the headroom for overclocking (which I will be doing for sure). Ill be "somewhat" safe with the 3700+ Sandy from what I see people are clocking that like a beast. Im planning to use the Seagate Barracuda as a storage device, and planning to run the two Raptors in RAID0, should be some awesome performance.

Im not much of an audiophile so the Logitech speakers will suit me well. And then there is the Zalman VGA cooler that will cool down the 6800GT.

All that runs me about $2000CAD. Around that is my budget.

If you guys have any suggestions for different components etc. feel free to give me feedback on the stuff ive chosen.

This will be a gaming system, so Im holding of the dual-core till the next build.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now im also pondering wether I should get 2gb of memory so im safe for the future?

But if i do, im worried that I won't get the same overclocking performance. And I cant seem to find any 2gb flavors of the OCZ Gold EL VX PC4000's or similar :(

Any suggestions?

Now im also pondering wether I should get 2gb of memory so im safe for the future?

But if i do, im worried that I won't get the same overclocking performance. And I cant seem to find any 2gb flavors of the OCZ Gold EL VX PC4000's or similar :(

Any suggestions?

Oh yes actually, if you can afford it you should definitely get 2GB.

Crucial Ballistix or OCZ Gold.

I prefer Crucial but it's up to you.

Whats the general advantage of having that much atm. ?

I do some video editing not much to need that amount.. i play lots of games.. even BF2 wont take up that much..

And also, with the 2GB kit im giving up super tight timings of 2-2-2-5 when i overclock the CPU/Mem at 1:1... so im wondering if i get the crucial ballistix PC4000 ram, and overclock the 250HTT to be 1:1 with the RAM (ram has minimum rating @ 250mhz) the timings will be lost and I will be running at 3-4-4 or something around that... is it still worth it... how much of a difference would the timings make?

Angry has talked about it before, and what I can gather from his comments, he says that CPU GHZ is all that matters. The memory timings don't matter, the memory speed doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is the CPU speed. At least that is what it sounds like Angry is saying.

I agree somewhat; I think the timings don't matter one tiny bit, but the mhz does. This is just my opinion though, so read up on it, look at some benchmarks, and then make your decision.