Sign in to follow this  
CodyDewey

Cmos Checksum-can load windows but not bios...Help?

Hello all!

I just received the components in my signature and built my system. I was originally able to load my bios fine, however I did have problems where it would occasionally not load. I updated my bios to the 623-3 bios to make the board more compatible with my opteron processor. After updating the bios, I have been unable to enter the bios @ boot.This is what happens...

1. Push power.

2. get splashscreen and hit delete.

3. raid splash screen comes up for my promise raid card.

4.Instead of entering bios I am left with a blank screen and a white cursor in the top left which blinks.Nothing happens after this.

or

1. Push power.

2. Splash screen comes up, I dont hit delete.

3. I get processor speed and model, memory amount and all drives are shown as detected. However, at the bottom of the screen it says CMOS Checksum. F1 to continue or Delete for Bios.

4. If I hit delete it goes to the same blank screen/cursor as above.

5. If I hit F1 windows loads fine.

So what I have done to attempt to fix it is...

1. Flash the old bios back to it .... same problem....

2. Reflash 623-3 and a few beta bios' using both winflash and awdflash... same problem...

3. Moved CCMOS jumper to clear position, took out battery, unplugged power supply and waited 8 hours... Same problem....

4. Taken everything but 1 mem stick,processor and grafix card out. (I left mem stick it uppermost orange slot) but same problem.

I have also tried the cmos reloaded jumper and hope that it hasnt caused my problems.

I would like to know if there is any tried and true way to COMPLETELY reflash my bios and anything I can do which will help me get into the bios screen to set timings, voltages etc....

Please help..

Cody

Hello,

Do you have another CPU to use?

Not an opteron one as these are not supported by DFI.

Hiya Sharp..

Unfortunately I don't have another 939 CPU. Only 754's.

I have tried using winflash and chose UPDATE ALL, but it still leaves me without bios access...Hmmm, any other suggestions?

I have another thread on this topic here -> http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showfl...&Number=5656629

Yeah I tried that roadie...In fact I printed off that suggestion of yours and took it home to try. After following your instructions Exactly I was still left with a blinking white cursor on the top left of the screen......

Looks like a replacement might be my only hope....I wont be able to order it till monday though, so if anyone else has ideas...Please post!

Keep in mind it is running fine now, just at default settings....still cant enter bios though...err....

:confused:

Before giving up I would flash the BIOS again. This time give the BIOS at least two flashes in a row without rebooting. I know it doesn't seem right but I've seen this bring a board back from the edge before with my own eyes by my own hands.

Guest Tmod
Looks like a replacement might be my only hope....I wont be able to order it till monday though, so if anyone else has ideas...Please post!

After following everyone elses ideas first you could try KillCMOS on my CD as one other person was going to RMA his board because no conventional CMOS clear would bring it back to life.

He then tried KillCMOS and I was surprised that it worked.

Tmods CD4

Tmod

Before giving up I would flash the BIOS again. This time give the BIOS at least two flashes in a row without rebooting. I know it doesn't seem right but I've seen this bring a board back from the edge before with my own eyes by my own hands.

Then I will perform a Double-flash......and update all with 623-3 official

TMOD

After following everyone elses ideas first you could try KillCMOS on my CD as one other person was going to RMA his board because no conventional CMOS clear would bring it back to life.

He then tried KillCMOS and I was surprised that it worked.

I will try this step after the double flash. Is there a chance I wont be able to boot @ all after using that proggie KillCMOS? If so I would rather just run at defaults til tuesdays replacement comes.... Games on a 2ghz stock opty and a couple of stock 7800GTX's isnt THAT bad right now....

Guest Tmod
I wont be able to boot @ all after using that proggie KillCMOS?

I have never heard of anyone not being able to boot after using KillCMOS.

It does not damage the bios chip in anyway, I am not sure exactly how it clears the CMOS the way it does, But it does it well.

A little info on KillCMOS:

What is it?

KillCMOS basically "resets" your computer's CMOS settings to the factory

defaults. Works with ALL CMOS. KiLLCMOS only changes checksums & values

that makes the motherboard CMOS revert back to factory defaults.

** IT DOES NOT ReProgram your CMOS like a FLASH ROM Writer does.

** IT DOES NOT DAMAGE Hardware. KiLLCMOS reads/writes to areas of the

CMOS that gets written to everyday, the difference is the VALUES that

we give it(cmos).

** KiLLCMOS changes the values in ALL KNOWN proprietary

Checksum locations. Then, it changes (overwrites) ALL KNOWN Password

& their accompanying Checksums.

End Result. Computer Reboots, Says "CMOS Checksum Failure, Default

Settings Loaded..."

Now its time to reconfigure your motherboard to your specific hard-drives,

floppies...etc.

Tmod

Hi All

I have exactly the same problem on one of my SLI-DRs.I have tried 4 different processors,

5 different sticks of memory,3 different graphics card(pci-e and pci)also different power supplies.

If I take te bios chip from the duff sli-dr and put it in another SLI-DR its fine.If I take the bios chip

from a good sli-dr and pop it in the duff one I get the same problem.All started with an overclock

attempt when I pushed the memory to high by forgetting to change the divider.If I press F1 it continues fine into windows.

However I cannot access the bios on the del key or the raid setup via F4 or CTRL-S.I get the same result as CodyDewey.

If the bios chip is fine in another board then i'm concluding its a board fault.

Have tried another bios chip flashed with every different SLI-DR bios and Killcmos countless times.

Anyone have datasheet for the bios chip so I could poss measure pins with a DMM?