Confusion Over Crossfire SATA Capabilities

A product question for clarification please.

Is the SATA capabilities for the DFI LanParty UT RDX200CF-DR Crossfire only SATA with no SATA II and native command queing?

I note on the taiwan DFI website it is stated that the Silicon image3114~RAID5 ready is used. However, other sites are saying it uses the Promise PDC40719 controller supports 4 SATA-II drives in RAID 0/1/0+1/5.

If it is the former, my feedback is that I expect to have SATA II and NCQ support. I would be very reluctant not to buy a DFI board as clearly they aretop stuff, but why should I be restrained by old tech when other manufacturers are using more current south bridges with more current caoabilities.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A product question for clarification please.

Is the SATA capabilities for the DFI LanParty UT RDX200CF-DR Crossfire only SATA with no SATA II and native command queing?

I note on the taiwan DFI website it is stated that the Silicon image3114~RAID5 ready is used. However, other sites are saying it uses the Promise PDC40719 controller supports 4 SATA-II drives in RAID 0/1/0+1/5.

If it is the former, my feedback is that I expect to have SATA II and NCQ support. I would be very reluctant not to buy a DFI board as clearly they aretop stuff, but why should I be restrained by old tech when other manufacturers are using more current south bridges with more current caoabilities.

If you want Sata2 & NCQ support then DONT get this board.... If you could care less about Sata2 & NCQ and you like to overclock and run XFire then i would say go for it!!!!!!!!!

If you want Sata2 & NCQ support then DONT get this board.... If you could care less about Sata2 & NCQ and you like to overclock and run XFire then i would say go for it!!!!!!!!!

or extremely high usb perf.

Hot deeyam Impaqt, you have done your homework again I see. NcQ is causing problems now and sata2 will only hit a begining burst that seems faster but overall transfer is not so far more than the Sata1.5. But there is the hype and paper to contend with man. Human nature. Hehehehee. But good call nevertheless.

RGone...

As soon as hard drives can actually take advantage of NCQ and Sata II (300) I'll worry about that. so far its just been numbers on paper. No real world benefits.

Anyone with links to this "high performance" USB

that was a saracastic statement (i'm not sure if your was too lol). but it's well known that the usb peformance is between 1/2 to 1/3 of what the nf4's is. I forget the actual ratio, but it's the chipset and not how the board was designed (going by other reviews of similar boards). you can find a full review at Anandtech.

that was a saracastic statement (i'm not sure if your was too lol). but it's well known that the usb peformance is between 1/2 to 1/3 of what the nf4's is. I forget the actual ratio, but it's the chipset and not how the board was designed (going by other reviews of similar boards). you can find a full review at Anandtech.

yep ;)

Hot deeyam Impaqt, you have done your homework again I see. NcQ is causing problems now and sata2 will only hit a begining burst that seems faster but overall transfer is not so far more than the Sata1.5. But there is the hype and paper to contend with man. Human nature. Hehehehee. But good call nevertheless.

RGone...

I'll take that as a Compliment Rgone.... Thanks..

All the SataII/NCQ hype is pretty funny. Hard drive interface technology has far exceeded what IDE and SATA hard drives can do. Most people dont realize that even PATA/66 is still fast enought for the majority of hard drives available.

If people want to clamor for the best hard drives and interfaces, they should start demaning SCSI interfaces on PC's at least then we can get some good high speed drives that dont cost an arm and a leg.

Once solid state hard drives start popping into the main streem (2-3 years probobly) we'll finnally have to start worrying about interace speed. Until then... I'll pass on the hype.