Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

DFI Overclocking Guide - PDF download! (updated - zip + rar)

I do have to disagree with something that was explained:

HTT is the rate at which incoming memory meets cpu instructions...But if it is not

running at optimal speed, then you start wondering why some super clock is not showing

the good numbers, or isnt stable, or wont even boot !!

On socket 754 cpu's the stock HTT speed is 1600 .. Its best to keep this between 1200-

1800 when overclocking to maintain stability.. On socket 939 cpu's the stock HTT is

2000.. And its best to keep this at or around 2000 when overclocking.. The HTT bus is in

no way saturated, so even underclocking this a little to maintain stability is fine ...

Here is a post by RGone explaining how to figure out your HTT speed with a socket 754

cpu..

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGone

The default speed of a 3700+ with 1mb L2 cache is 12 x 200 or 2400mhz; real cpu mhz.

12 is the multiplier. 200 is the bus speed AND the speed of the memory when set to 1:1 /

200 in Dram configuration. The HTT bus speed of that 3700+ on the UT250gb if

LTD/FSB ratio is set to AUTO is 4 times 200 or 800HTT bus speed times 2 for a DDR

rating of 1600 for single channel NF3 boards. If you set the LTD/FSB ratio to X4 the

HTT bus speed itself will again be 800x2 or DDR1600 the Default for single channel

NF3 chipset boards.

You can kinda say this.... however, the HTT is NOT DDR, it's (for 939's) 200x5 not 200x2. It is both up stream and down stream, which is different from DDR.

The system gets its main frequency from an external clock generator, the HTT and CPU uses this. The memory uses a divider (I did forget the formula) to attain its speed.

My apologies about being a PITA, but that's just the way I am! :P

EDIT: I do agree that a quality overclock is not an easy thing to do. In the article, AG said that. I've been running my system at FX57 speeds for about a year without any stability issues. Now on top of all of that, I gotta get used to different settings for the voltage, vs. just dialing in a voltage.

This'll be really helpful. I'm getting a bit of overclocking help when I get my rig together from a friend, but I still need to do some on my own.