Sign in to follow this  
squire

Spilt some thermal paste onto my motherboard.

Well... I didn't actually spill it since its pretty much impossible to spill that thick paste...

After I applied some arctic silver paste onto my CPU, my 8 year old niece ran right into me really hard... the paste tube landed on the motherboard (to the ram slots)

Now I have paste all over that motherboard area... Should I have to worry? Is it safe to clean up the paste mess on my motherboard with rubbing alcohol? A lot of the paste WENT INSIDE the RAM slot.

Well it depends a little on what kind of paste you were using as some is conductive some is not. If it is AS5 yes it is very conductive. Either way I would clean it very well and carefully just to be safe.

Well it depends a little on what kind of paste you were using as some is conductive some is not. If it is AS5 yes it is very conductive. Either way I would clean it very well and carefully just to be safe.

AS5 is NOT conductive.

Thankyou. Yes, I use artic silver 5.

What exactly does thermally conductive mean? What will it do to my motherboard? Will it affect my ram? Some of the paste cant be cleaned off because its in the tiny little holes now..

But again, that doesn't make it safe, as it is somewhat capacitive, which means basically it'll hold a small charge whcih could affect the way the board functions.

I'd say that it'd be best if you can get a toothpick and just try to *pick* the AS5 out. Try to do it in a vertical fashion as well [as to not smudge the AS5 over two contacts inside the DIMM slot]