Sign in to follow this  
Shinzoy

cooling the chipset

Hi, i started my overclocking tests last night, under clocked my memory and found my max CPU @ 2520MHZ for my X2 3800, im happy with it. My temp on load for the processor never went above 38 degree, howerver my chipset was at 44 degrees. I know its not that big a deal but i was thinking my video card is such a big ***ch that she goes right across the chipset fan over to the other side, well a 7800GT will have heat of its own right above the fan and partially add resistence to air movement from the chipset. is it worth it for me to add another fan just to blow additional air over the chipset.

does anyone else have the same issues. BTW i did remove the chipset fan and added AS5 after a thorough cleaning before adding the system board.

Edited : oct 26

Mine was getting really hot so I bought a Iceberq4 gfx cooler and modified it to fit on the mobo. Had to drill new mounting holes in the copper, and grind down one part so that it would clear a comonent on the motherboard, and it brought my temps down between 6-10c.... and its quieter.

I take it you have the same issue with your card going over your fan, is there any problems with your card touching your new fan?

Mine was getting really hot so I bought a Iceberq4 gfx cooler and modified it to fit on the mobo. Had to drill new mounting holes in the copper, and grind down one part so that it would clear a comonent on the motherboard, and it brought my temps down between 6-10c.... and its quieter.

So if i get this right, in the motherboard temperature setting the one that sais NF4 chipset and 44 degrees is the one in your diagram? because the airflow where you point out i have alot of airflow, im refering to the fan that comes with the motherboard, is that not the NF4 chipset?

This is the area you want to cool for the PWMIC chip that manny have a problem with getting warm.You can mount a fan there if you want to help cool it & sink the chip.

This iceburg will fit with out modding it.

http://www.svcompucycle.com/vansolcopvga.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=35469

Yeah I got two 7800GTs blowing right on top of the nforce4 chipset. Now that you have mentioned where the pwmic chip is, I might put one of the copper ram sinks on it that came with my iceberq4 :) thanks

LOL, yes i knew that was not the nf4 chip, i did not know it by name mind you but i wanted clarification for what was posted with the picture, i was very speciffic in my question, as my temperature was for the NF4 chipset and the vid card is going across the top of it, one thing im not used to is dealing with airflow issues when other components ar interfering with others. i would like to see the temp below 40.

mind you im not upto speed on what the PWMIC chip does axactly but i do know that area of my board has alot of airflow.

Well my chipset fan quit one day, and I found out that when the chipset reaches about 61°C is when it starts affecting performance, both in the bechmarks and very noticable in gaming. My 3dmark01 score went from 29,000 when the chipset is 55° or below, to 19,000 when the chipset hit 61°C. When it hit 64°C my games would begin freezing/unfreezing. My new evercool vc-re fan will be here tommorrow. The fan now works intermitantly. I've been blowing a small, but strong fan directly into the case, with the side cover off, for a temporary fix. I also have the 7800GT, but have noticed that mine doesn't really run any hotter than my 6600GT so that's not been a factor so far. I'll find out when I put the side cover back on.

max CPU @ 1520MHZ

Is this a typo? That seems low. I don't know what these are stock, but I know I've seen people get them 1000mhz higher than this.

My temp on load for the processor never went above 38 degree, howerver my chipset was at 44 degrees.
Only 44 under load is very good for stock chipset cooler being blocked by vid card.

-pickles

AFAIK if you have an SLI board you can change the 6 jumpers and drop the gfx card in the lower pci-e slot. it provides some breathing room for the chipset and i havnt read about any problems doing that. if anyone has heard anything negative please post.

also, will removing the chipset heatsink and applying as5 affect the dfi warantee at all?