Problems getting my system stable

unless i got this wrong you wrote

"I've been using the system now for 2 months stable at 2100 MHZ (2400 should be stock). "

if you have an X2 3800 stock is 2GHZ not 2.4, mine started at 2000 and capped @ 2520

He does not have a X2, it is a single core 3800.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find the specs on corsairs website often misleading

Corsair

assuming your modules are CMX512-3200C2 under the XMS3200 section

timings are shown as 2-3-3-6-1T

However if u open the detail pdf u will see

Tested at 2.5-3-3-6 settings on AMD platforms

so i'm with aikenben.

corsair used to have a * footnote on a lot of modules on the main page highlighting modules which ran at slacker timings (2.5-3-3-6) on AMD.

have u tried playing with different voltages??

Thanks Boppo for clarification,

I have a question for you xanoo, have you tried to set the ram to ratio 100 MHZ and HTT to 3 and try to just increasing your processor to find your max cpu and with ram and HTT underclocked you should easilly pass (2.4 stock) and OC it at least to 2.7 if Super PI fails before 2.4 then RMA your processor. if you can bring the processor past 2.4 then bring the multi down to 7 and deal with just the memory by itself. testing individually might point to a weak part in your machine. I followed these steps with my new rig and because i knew the faulire of all my parts it was easy to balance after.

i find the specs on corsairs website often misleading

Corsair

assuming your modules are CMX512-3200C2 under the XMS3200 section

timings are shown as 2-3-3-6-1T

However if u open the detail pdf u will see

so i'm with aikenben.

corsair used to have a * footnote on a lot of modules on the main page highlighting modules which ran at slacker timings (2.5-3-3-6) on AMD.

have u tried playing with different voltages??

My understanding was that those 2.5-3-3-6 timing were for AMD nForce2 platforms. The K8 chips ought to run at the 2-3-3-6 timings.

Nope

These parts support 2-3-3-6 latency on Intel platforms, and 2.5-3-3-6 latency on AMD platforms

The quote included in the link MSI Nvidia64 Sticky, Re: Bios Guides Corsair Timings was copied from the original Corsair Footnote on their web page.

Certainly judging from the no of crucial users on the MSI nvidia64 posting with memory issues using auto settings the 2.5cas applies to AMD64.

Boppo,

it is no wonder people have issues with their memory

Exactly, i consider myself lucky was going to get corsair when speccing my last build but got ballistix instead, thanks to some good advise. When i got more into it have I find i really don't like corsair.

Does Corsair offer any help with getting their memory to work?

Yes Ramguy it's aforum that has a link on the main corsair site.

Boppo,

Exactly, i consider myself lucky was going to get corsair when speccing my last build but got ballistix instead, thanks to some good advise. When i got more into it have I find i really don't like corsair.

Yeah, I have found that the more I look into Corsair memory, I don't particularly care for it. That doesn't mean it's bad RAM at all, because it's not. But in my personal opinion, I'll buy some OCZ, Geil, Mushkin or even Patriot before I go for Corsair.

Thanks Boppo for clarification,

I have a question for you xanoo, have you tried to set the ram to ratio 100 MHZ and HTT to 3 and try to just increasing your processor to find your max cpu and with ram and HTT underclocked you should easilly pass (2.4 stock) and OC it at least to 2.7 if Super PI fails before 2.4 then RMA your processor. if you can bring the processor past 2.4 then bring the multi down to 7 and deal with just the memory by itself. testing individually might point to a weak part in your machine. I followed these steps with my new rig and because i knew the faulire of all my parts it was easy to balance after.

No I have not tried something like this, not quite catching it all either :)

But I can play for hours before I crash now, and then it gives me a blue screen with driver_irql_not_less_or_equal.

The site where I bought the ram listed the information from Corsair as 2.5-3-3-6 for AMD. And yes it's a single core. Now I use all settings as stated on that site. But he lists it as 2.5-3-8-3 @ 2.8v vdimm, but my boot shows it as 3-3-8-3

aikenben,

I think 4 many myself included when trying to spec a new build memory is probably the hardest component to pin down.

a lot of the reason i don't like corsair is their web page & product range. Why do they need to have the same memory as 2 stock items where the only difference is the color of the heat spreader. It's just adding un-needed complexity.

Saw a funny thread once which went back & forth about Corsair modules arguing that the PT module was superior. In the end it turned out that the PT suffix was the color of the heat spreader.

I'd add Crucial to that b4 list. :)