Sign in to follow this  
Xanoo

Problems getting my system stable

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion on what to try to get my system running at stock speed. On most settings I've seen other suggest my system won't even boot, but I guess different memory plays a part in this.

I've yet to get it up and running stable at stock speed. However if I underclock the system it runs stable.

I've been using the system now for 2 months stable at 2100 MHZ (2400 should be stock). But now I feel it's time to get at least the default speed for my cpu. I updated the bios last time I tried tweaking, should be back in august.

I have also tried the sticky guide where you should get your system up and running, but it didn't quite work for me. I have however booted into windows at speeds at 2400mhz or slightly higher, but not without getting a random bluescreen after some time.

My current working settings listed below. If I raise the FSB Bus Frequency in this setting to 220, it boots into a bluescreen. at 230 it won't even boot.

Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency - 210

LDT/FSB Frequency Ration - Auto

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - x 10.0

PCI eXpress Frequency - 101Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value - 1.425v

CPU VID Control - 1.425v

CPU VID Special Control - Above VID * 110%

LDT Voltage Control - 1.40v

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.80v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.90v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Disable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 03 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 06 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 03 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 15 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 15 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 04 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 02 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - 01 Bus Clock

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Auto

Max Async Latency - Auto

DRAM Response Time - Fastest

Read Preamble Time - Auto

IdleCycle Limit - 032 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity - Auto

This setting gives me 2100 mhz and 2.5/3/3/6 for memory (recommended factory settings). I did try the memtest86 in bios for a few hours without getting any errors. I've also made sure I've used the right slots for the memory.

OK have you tried running at your default 12x multiplier (you said stock speed was 2400? 12xmultilier)

that would atleast get ur system up to stock speed.

Setting FSB to 200 and the multiplier to 12x to get it at stock speed alone didn't boot me into windows.

But changing the ram settings to the one specified for my ram in that link did.

It booted with 3-3-8-3, and speed at 2400 Mhz

Curious why it don't like my settings for 2.5-3-3-6 on higher speed though, as that's whats recommended.

so thanks, now I just need to wait for that BSOD not to come today :)

Well today after playing this game for several hours I got a BSOD again.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to tweak, for example new memory settings?

underclocked 210 FSB 10x Multiplier stable with 2100 mhz @ 2.5-3-3-6 ram settings

stock 200 FSB 12x Multiplier unstable with 2400 mhz @ 3-3-8-3 ram settings as tested in the link above. (2.5-3-3-6 will not boot with this fsb and multiplier)

Personally... and I know this is on a whim, but I'd blame the memory... I have those same modules and had some issues before I got them working properly, and I didn't do very much gaming before my OCZ Plat's arrived. Do you by chance have a friend w/ two sticks of 1GB who'd be willing to loan you one? What is it saying at the BSOD?

Well today after playing this game for several hours I got a BSOD again.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to tweak, for example new memory settings?

underclocked 210 FSB 10x Multiplier stable with 2100 mhz @ 2.5-3-3-6 ram settings

stock 200 FSB 12x Multiplier unstable with 2400 mhz @ 3-3-8-3 ram settings as tested in the link above. (2.5-3-3-6 will not boot with this fsb and multiplier)

The Corsair website lists them as 2-3-3-6, not 2.5.

Did you use CPU-z to check your SPD ratings and see if they match what you think they should be?

When you used Angry's settings, did you use all of them.

The Corsair website lists them as 2-3-3-6, not 2.5.

Did you use CPU-z to check your SPD ratings and see if they match what you think they should be?

When you used Angry's settings, did you use all of them.

If I'm not mistaken, the Corsair site mentions 2-3-3-6 for Intel platforms, 2.5-3-3-6 for AMD... I haven't been to the site in a few months, but I remember reading that. But they're also advertised as 2-3-3-6 on Newegg, and that's what I ran them at, stable from what I could tell... give that a try?

They don't mention the NF4 chipset at all, only Intel and NF2. Could be part of why they don't play so well. Or maybe they do not mention NF4 because they don't play well with it.

unless i got this wrong you wrote

"I've been using the system now for 2 months stable at 2100 MHZ (2400 should be stock). "

if you have an X2 3800 stock is 2GHZ not 2.4, mine started at 2000 and capped @ 2520