BIOS problems on boot

This is my first DFI system and right out of the box I've been having a problem with the BIOS not accessable after reboot. I originaly started with power supply, 2x512 ram in 2and4 slots, and 2 geforce6800s with SLI jumpers on 2and3pins. The system boots, I hit del and enter CMOS. Now wether I make changes or not, upon reboot the keyboard doesn't work and after post screen is a blank screen with blinking cursor. I cleared the CMOS, tried again and got the same thing. This happens with 1 RAM and 1 video card too. I have to clear CMOS each time to get to BIOS. So, I tried taking the battery out and leaving the jumper on clear for an hour like someone on here suggested, and then I just put 1 videocard & 1 RAM in the 1st slot, now I get 3 leds on the debug and it wont detect the ram. I put it back the way I had it and still nothing. It won't work at all now. Somebody please help me do I have a bad board/bios?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok I cleared CMOS again and made it to a post screen, the bios is 1/25/2005.

I took the MB back to the store and had them test it.

Just the board. They used different PSU, mem, and vid card.

It worked fine. I brought it back, tried 1 mem in the top slot like they did.

No mem detect and loud beeps. Tried the second slot down (orange)

and it worked, but I set the time in the BIOS and now it crashes on

memory test in the post. Is the Kingston HyperX not compatible?

It's compatible...have you tried each stick separately in the orange slot closest to the edge? Sometimes you'll get one stick that works and another that has some problems. If you can get it to work with one, try running memtest on each stick independently for at least 6 hours each. Upping the ram voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 also tends to help a lot of people. Once you have your ram stable enough to where you wont crash during the flash, you should get the latest official bios...6/23-3. Search around this site for multiple ways of flashing. Good luck.

Actually people tend to have major problems with Kingston memory and these boards.

Clear your CMOS like this

1. pull power

2. pull battery

3. clear cmos jumper for minimum of 30-60 seconds

4. replace cmos jumper to normal position

5. replace battery

6. replace power

7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults

8. save and exit

See if you can boot at this point. If you can, run memtest for at least a few hours (8 would be preferable). If you get no errors then flash your BIOS. I would recommend TMod's CD for that. It is great.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

Ok, I switched out the ram to Corsair 3200c2pro Xtreme and everything works fine now. The Kingston wasn't stable no matter what I did. Thank you guys for the feedback. Should I still flash the BIOS?

Which one are you currently running?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a thread bump. I actually am the owner by right of purchase of this system. Cyborg-Psyco is the one to build and install it for me.

Still a bunch of issues with this board.

Bought new RAM. I now have duel Corsair 3200 pro xmx(?) LED series 512 each.

Bios is now up but installing windowsXP is crashing????

Two 256 XFX SLI video Cards

Only one for install.

600watt X-Finity power supply with multi conections

BIG thing here is I have a AMD 64 bit 4000 processor. Is this thing to much? It says on box up to 3700.

Here is another thing, which I dought hurts the fact, but it is a X-Laser3 Skull series case. Cool grafics, but probably illrelavent.

Bump Bump Nudge Nudge

:D