Maximum voltage X2 4200+

I have a 4200+ and so far have been able to hit 2592 MHz (288x9) stable with a voltage of 1.500 V (set in the bios). I don't have a digital multimeter, but I'm pretty confident in my OCZ Powerstream 520W. What is a good voltage limit for an X2 without significantly shortening its life? I know that i can hit 2700Mhz plus if i raise the voltage (I've done it), but I was afraid to run the voltage that high day in and day out. CPU-Z tells me 1.45V, but I know it's higher than that.

I want to know that too... I just got my x2 3800+ on Friday and so far i've been able to get prime to run for 8 hours at 263x10 with 1.525 volts set in the bios. Is this too high? According to mbm my temps top out at about 45C.

So if I set it in the bios to 1.550V and then go to my max, my X2 should last at least a few years? I'm looking to use this computer at least 3 years, hopefully more. I guess no one really knows because the X2's haven't been out that long, but maybe based on experience with other 90nm cores?

The over clocking guide says

CPU VID (Voltage Identification) Control (CPU Vcore)

This is a tricky one.. Its gonna depend on how good your temps are and how far your willing to take it. For 90nm cores (i.e. Sandiego, Venice, x2, Winnies) its best to stick around 1.6v-1.65v MAX

In the course of researching my CPU this was reaffirmed by many other threads on this and other sites.

And as always watch your temps. My temps stay in the low 40s with both cores under full load. But this is due to very good cooling and a little luck :)

Good luck with your new X2s guys and have fun :)

I have read the overclocking guide, I was just wondering how much 1.6V is going to shorten the life of my processor. Also, I know whoever wrote the OC guide says he runs his chipset at 1.7V, but will that shorten the life of it? Mine runs at 40 on full load at 1.7V.

I have read that some people say its ok to run 1.7 on these X2s if your have water cooling. However, in the process of OCing my CPU I could get it to 2.8 at 1.59v but 2.85 needed over 2.7v. To me that was not worth the risk and potentially shortened life of my cpu. I would imagine that you will have to make a similar determination based on the limits of your cpu.

Also consider that 3 years from now you will probably want a new cpu anyway :P So running it at more volts for 3 years or less volts for 4 years… well you see what I mean.

Also I have read no indication that 2.7v on the chipset will make a marketable difference either way.