Sign in to follow this  
drvais

RAID 0 HDDs not recognized as single HDD by Windows & BIOS setup i

Long time reader, first time poster. First up, I'm a RAID newbie, but I've tried to do my research on this issue and have viewed numerous threads, yet nothing seems to apply to my exact situation.

I originally installed Windows onto my SCSI drive, and my Hitachi SATA drives just arrived in the mail the other day so I thought I would add them to my sys as a RAID 0 (striping) data drive. I have the drives connected to SATA 1 and 2, and I enabled RAID inside of "Integrated Peripherals," along with SATA connections 1 through 4. I also made sure that "Internal Phys SATA 1/2" was enabled in the Genie BIOS. For the nVidia RAID bios, I assigned both disks to Striping & "Optimal" setting. The nVidia bios recognized both drives as a single entity after doing this step. Following the bios work, I installed the ver. 6.66 nForce4 drivers in Windows. After rebooting, I have run into two problems:

(1) If I do not disconnect the power to the SATA drives before going into the SLI-D setup, the screen goes black or produces a few random characters scattered throughout the screen when the normal bios setup options should appear.

(2) WinXP's Disk Management program sees the array as two separate drives instead of a single drive

Also, I tried using nVidia's NVRAIDMAN program to view the array, but no drives are listed in the program.

Right now, I've gone ahead and started formatting both drives inside of Disk Management as separate drives, but I've got a feeling that this is not the correct thing to do.

Can anyone offer solutions to my two primary problems? Thank you!

I should add that inside of Device Manager, under SCSI and RAID controllers, the Nvidia RAID Class Controller & Device entries are both highlighted with a warning sign, and both have a "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)" entry for the Device Status.

?

I had previously examined the tutorial, but unfortunately it seems to mainly apply to a fresh install of XP, and I would like to keep my current installation if at all possible.

Also, I already tried using the drivers you suggested, but the effect was the same as using nVidia's 6.66 drivers.

I get the feeling that even though I'm enabling RAID in the BIOS, that Windows is not recognizing this. I think this because I have to manually install the RAID class drivers as XP does not automatically recognize the RAID controllers upon startup.

Ummmm you have to install the drivers at a fresh install.....you cant just decide after original install...hey I think going raid would be cool.....It will not work!!

I have to install the drivers during a fresh install even though I'm not using the RAID array as my bootable drive?

I just want to use the RAID array for misc. data.

Hmmmm I didn't realize you just wanted this for a backup drive. You still would have to go into the F10 screen as per the tuturial and build the array though.

Other than that I am not sure as I have not tried that. Everyone I know has raid on the main boot drive.

As I mentioned in my original post, I built the array first within the nVidia controller bios (striping and optimal) and it is recognized as a single drive by the nVidia controller bios startup, but not as a single drive inside of XP

may i know wat is best stripping block size to use with 2x80gb sata ?

cause i have a problem after installation windows finished my pc can't boot,

cannot go past window xp logo screen then restart on its own