No power to HD or CD drive [his royal newbness]

Guest Monte_merged

I have the setup in my sig...

Pretty new to this, i'm comming from a 5yr old Gateway 800mhz, stop laughing!

Well I put everything together, and when I turn on the power, all of the fans come on, all of the board lights come on, and I get 4 red LED's. The hard drive makes no noise, and the CD drive has no power. I've swapped the HD and CD drive from my current computer and the CD work, and the power light comes on the HD, but still nothing happens on startup. I brought everything to a local computer place (who admitted they had never delt w/ a DFI board before) who told me they board was bad. They also tested my HD, CD, processer, and Vid Card with one of their motherboards and everything worked. I returned my board and got a new one, and I just put it all together with the same results. I've been reading around the forum and tried most of the common solutions (moving the memory, boot holding delete) and nothing ever changes. Ideas?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 very glaring problems stick out with just glancing at your sig. 1 the power supply is too small. You need at least a 480W with 28A on the 12V rail....It also has to be a native 24 pin pwr supply. Does your PSU have a 24 pin connector? Do you have all 4 pwr connectors connected to the board(i.e. 24 pin, P4, Molex,and floppy)

The next thing is your ram. Not sure if it is compatible or not. Do you know what kind of ic chips was used in it?

Memory is compatible, its DDR400. But the power supply seems to be the issue, I did use the 20-24pin adaptor. That would cause nothing to work though?

No way! :shake:

DFI REQUIRES native 24-pin ATX molex & 480W for all the DFI N4 mobos.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...22&postcount=34

PSU Guide: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Pick from the "A" list for "guaranteed results". :nod:

Alrighty then, I'm going to run out and pick up a new power supply right now, and i'll let ya know what happens.

Monte, it sounds like you need to connect the rest of the power connectors to the mobo. Besides the 24-pin connector, next to it is a 4-pin connector that needs to be connected as well as a 4-pin molex right above the chipset fan.

If you connect those you should be good.

Monte, it sounds like you need to connect the rest of the power connectors to the mobo. Besides the 24-pin connector, next to it is a 4-pin connector that needs to be connected as well as a 4-pin molex right above the chipset fan.

If you connect those you should be good.

and the floppy connector by the top pci express slot